Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Best TIP42 for audio
Best TIP42 for audio
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th March 2020, 06:01 PM   #11
keilau is offline keilau  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte McGuire View Post
The New Japan Radio versions seem to be the nicest (e.g. lowest distortion). This would be the NJM5532D and the selected version NJM5532DD in the DIP-8 package. I think they gave up on the single 5534 version though.

Honestly though, an LM4562 beats the daylights out of a 5532, and is very inexpensive too.

Single ICs to replace a 5534 will be tougher to find now. The only time singles get made now are when the idle dissipation for one amplifier is on the high side, making a dual harder to use.
Totally agree with you on the LM4562. I use LME49720 ordered from DigiKey.

Single ICs to replace a 5534 is difficult to find at reasonable cost. I paid $6 per piece for the LT1115 and consider it very good price.
Old 29th March 2020, 04:51 AM   #12
sgrossklass is offline sgrossklass  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keilau View Post
Single ICs to replace a 5534 is difficult to find at reasonable cost. I paid $6 per piece for the LT1115 and consider it very good price.
And then you still need to make sure that the application actually plays to the part's advantages... which mostly means low source impedances in this example. In a phono MM application, results would be rather tragic in the noise department.
Old 29th March 2020, 07:17 AM   #13
altec9440 is offline altec9440  France
diyAudio Member

I ordered pieces from each brand.

Hope that locky_z will offer a new curve tracer in order to test these samples
Old 29th March 2020, 02:03 PM   #14
keilau is offline keilau  United States
diyAudio Member

Default single op-amp in DIP-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrossklass View Post
And then you still need to make sure that the application actually plays to the part's advantages... which mostly means low source impedances in this example. In a phono MM application, results would be rather tragic in the noise department.
I ordered the LT1115 for Wayne Palmer's moving coil phono stage build, not for 5534 replacement. I just use it to show that very few single op-amp in DIP-8 were available. I have not used a MM cartridge for a long time.
Old Yesterday, 04:40 AM   #15
Monte McGuire is offline Monte McGuire
diyAudio Member

Best TIP42 for audio
The LT1115, LT1028 and AD797 are all super high input stage bias current op amps, part of the reason why a dual of these amplifiers is not feasible. As was mentioned, their input current noise will likely be the dominant noise source in a MM phono application - they're great amps, but their input stage is optimized for impedances closer to 50-70Ω, far enough away from a MM cartridge to be annoying noise-wise.

What might make the best sense for a 5534 replacement these days is to rig up an SO-8 package LM4562 / LME49720 dual on an SMD adapter as a single with the other half wired "off". At least then you could use an amplifier that makes sense as a 5534 replacement.

Best TIP42 for audioHide this!Advertise here!