Burson V6 Classic - this is the END

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Gentlemen!
I apologize to everyone for wasting valuable time with my post.
I seem to be overly enthusiastic about the experience of a simple opamp. I was surprised to see this level of change.
And yes, I agree with Mark Tillotson that a blind test would be really scientific. But I was not talking about science, but about listening to music. Which evokes feelings, thoughts. At least that's what good listening to music means to me.

Then in short, instead of expansiveness, I think an opamp can be a particularly interesting and valuable piece of a complex system. Be the product of any manufacturer. In any case, this has worked out the best for me so far.
DIYaudio is not the most welcoming place for emotive or unscientific sharing of opinions.

Not a criticism, but just a quick lesson in knowing your audience

You'll get no argument from though, as the Burson Opamps made huge changes to my old phonostage. No scientific evidence required for my personal listening experience but Charles is a top guy and the opamps are superb.

Bigman80:
I'm 41, over a decade ago, the last time I registered for a professional forum. Say, I didn't register for anything else. So after many years, diyAudio is the first one to share a post. And I didn't regret it, despite the welcome. It was not my intention to appear as a Burson promoter.
But it is no doubt that I also came to this opamp based on the opinions, accounts and experiences of others. And thanks to such forums, pro and contra arguments or just opinions, one can find very cool things. And I consider this Burson Classic to be an extremely good alternative when it comes to opamps.

beardman:

I don't have much experience, so far I've tried 5 opamps in my vacuum tube preamp. I did not notice a noticeable difference between the NE5532 (absolutely good opamp) and the OPA1612. But then the two discreet opams were different. Instantly, they had different spatial mappings, and I noticed something completely different while listening to music. And then Classic V6 arrived ... for me a whole new league.

Mark Tillotson:
I know I would need a blind test for perfect objectification, but I don't have to be objective to enjoy the music. Anyway, it's really completely subjective that for one opamp, I started to listen to how the singers take their breath ... I've never dealt with it before because I didn't pay attention to it for some reason, and maybe because the system didn't detail of the complex unit.

Last edited:
This sounds like the type of preamp that can easily be modified to function without the tubes. And removing the tubes will also make it possible to bypass at least one coupling cap. Would you consider trying this?

So far, I haven't tested if it even works without a vacuum tube (its tubularity is a peculiarity somewhere), but I promise I'll try it that way. I myself am curious about the result.

@avtech23,
If that is the limit of your understanding, another will join the ignore list.

Easiest fish I ever caught..

Burson's discrete op-amps are junk. From all the measurements I can find, even their most recent versions do not hold up to $2 op-amps. If you *think* they sound better, then more power to you, but they are objectively bad.

They certainly do measure worse than an opamp but they are designed to have a 'sound'. Opamps are generally designed to be 'transparent' or very low distortion. I don't think it is possible to have a discrete opamp that has a 'sound' that also 'measures well objectively' (presumably meaning low noise, low distortion etc).

Personally I wouldn't spend $$$ on a discrete opamp when a $2 one would be suitable, but then I'm not into chasing a particular sound.

Some people spend $$$ on an exhaust system for their car that reduces performance but gives them that particular sound they are looking for. Each to their own I guess!

...but then I'm not into chasing a particular sound.

I bought the tube preamplifier, and I liked the sound. But man doesn't rest, and the "warmth" of a tube preamp was practically wasted with the silver-plated speaker cables replaced in the meantime. But I didn't replace back the cable, but started "upgrading" the preamplifier. Valve replacements, then opamp replacements. And I could say I'm where I left off, but not. Something "elusive" has always been added and the end result really suits my taste.

Last edited:
This will obviously require some investigation into the topology. My guess, without knowing anything about the unit, is the tubes function as cathode followers at output, dramatically decreasing the transparency.

As the description goes, you might be right: "The output analog audio signal is filtered by the dual op amp and then amplified by the 12AU7 tube."
I think that because of the nature of the valve, it is not its own pure analytical representation anyway, but the creation of a special mood.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.