Panasonic FC caps have magnetic leads

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
best for voicecoil, as I read, is Aluminium. It's not expensive but has the best figure of merit when you account for density and resistance.

In linear power supplies there are high charging current spikes, I am skeptical that magnetic capacitor leads are any kind of issue by themselves. Perhaps in phono . pre amps there is a need for extra care, even the materials of the case.

Weight not an issue because copper is even heavier. Copper is denser compared to steel. I believe the main issue is resistance. Due to higher resistance the coil heats up easily. That means quite alot of power goes into heat instead of moving the cones.
I can't agree!
All this is for garbage.
Who needs an electrical cable that is actually a resistor?
Who wants to set fire to his house?
Who needs a radio frequency cable that is actually a loss line?
However, I will never buy such a thing.:nownow:

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
analog_sa,

I made the comment as I didn't notice the age of the post, and my understanding is that they are getting harder to find and I'm not even sure there in heavy production anymore. Plus I had seen several forum posts over the years indicating the displeasure of some that Panasonic caps had magnetic leads, which I did confirm years ago with their FM caps. The only common caps I knew to have copper leads are the ones often mentioned here, like Silmic, Nichicon Muse, etc. I have also seen some data sheets allude to a part number code indicating steel leads or copper leads as an option. It's been several years ago. Don't recall which manufacturer had that option.

Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
best for voicecoil, as I read, is Aluminium....

The likely cases:

Minimum Mass-- industrial tweeters, a few hot midranges: yes, Aluminum, but a pain to solder.

Mass is no big deal: most woofers "need" mass to extend the bass. Copper solders easy and reliable.

The case we can't talk about: ABsolute best conductivity/mass, Lithium. Very dangerous exposed to air.

best for voicecoil, as I read, is Aluminium. It's not expensive but has the best figure of merit when you account for density and resistance.

In linear power supplies there are high charging current spikes, I am skeptical that magnetic capacitor leads are any kind of issue by themselves. Perhaps in phono . pre amps there is a need for extra care, even the materials of the case.

Yes, aluminum is 1/3 as dense as copper, conductivity is 2/3 of copper. So you need 33% thicker to get the same resistance. But weight is still lower than copper. The downside would be space. Thicker wires takes up more space.

Just as a follow up, and further clarification.

My Panasonic FM capacitors have magnetic iron lead wires

The Panasonic FC capacitors, have tinned copper leads ie non-magnetic.

That is how they are with mine.
Capacitors were purchased from digikey USA, approximately a year ago.

Well if they're iron based and non-magnetic they would have to be austenitic stainless steel (or similar), which really isn't any cheaper than copper.

So kind of dumb to do that unless they were designed to be used in a marine/corrosive environment.

I know for a fact my panasonic FC capacitors have copper leads.
Happy to confirm that by scanning electron microscope if people insist they're not.

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I found another thread on the site from years ago discussing this topic about FC/FM and other caps so I know I wasn't crazy thinking this had been already discussed. I poured over the datasheets last night and also poured over the Panasonic website - I couldn't find any evidence of calling out the leads used on the FC caps, so maybe it's whatever they have on hand. pico, that's great if you can get an answer on the subject. I'm a bit curious now.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.