Vintage Dale military spec RN60C and RN65C

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got a hold of some vintage (early 1960s) Dale military spec RN60C and RN65C. I thought that some other members may enjoy the pictures.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• RN60C_front.jpg
    RN60C_front.jpg
    472.5 KB · Views: 451
  • RN60C_back.jpg
    RN60C_back.jpg
    474.9 KB · Views: 434
  • RN65C_front.jpg
    RN65C_front.jpg
    461.3 KB · Views: 452
  • RN65C_back.jpg
    RN65C_back.jpg
    485.9 KB · Views: 439
Colombus Nebraska? Not silicon valley?
The home of the Air Force SAC may have had something to with this radical increase in resistor performance, RN60, RN65. Most passives up to then IMHO were carbon comp RCR07 from AB or Sprague, wirewound from Ohmmite, serious parts from General Instrument of NY that HH Scott & Dynaco used. Metal film resistors? They can make those in Thailand & Brazil now, but a real movement forward in 1965. Dale still makes a good product now, but not in Nebraska.

I spent just under $10.00 on 8 packages like the one depicted above containing Dale RN60C and RN65C, 80 pieces of 997.5 ohm 0.1% tolerance with Jordan imprinted on them and 50 pieces of 9.98K 0.1% tolerance with Mektron imprint.
I had never heard of the latter two brands but testing the resistors they consistently hold their nominal values and tolerance. So far it has been an interesting learning experience and also entertaining. And I haven't even used the resistors yet. :)

Here is the Dale company timeline published on their web site. I am trying to find more about those two other brands.

Vishay - 50-Year Timeline

Do they look the same? They might have made in the same line, when another company inquired, printed their label on them, for them. I actually think I have some of those
dales, used on an a Gov't spec board, which has conformal coating which renders
them difficult to part out. I got some nice 70s glass resistors long with TI diodes
when they were still doing down hole instrumentation (oil drilling, etc.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.