which double shielded coax?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
This one is quite good and not too thick
https://www.pasternack.com/images/ProductPDF/PE-C195.pdf
Unfortunately 50 Ohm means high capacitance

Yes that looks good. I only need a couple of 1 foot cables so capacitance not a big deal. If I take 75 or 100 ohms, does that mean lower capacitance?

I need especially good mains and mains harmonic screening. Not sure if that is ever a concern for cable bakers.

Jan

Yes that looks good. I only need a couple of 1 foot cables so capacitance not a big deal. If I take 75 or 100 ohms, does that mean lower capacitance?
yes. 75 ohm is easy to find as are 75 ohm BNC connectors(*). 100 ohm? Doesn't exist I think. 93 ohm is possible to find.

Good BNCs are matched to a specific cable type as the centre connector has to fit the inner core.

I read with considerable interest the Audiomart quote from John Swenson and subsequent posts testing his theory linked to above in RajkoM's first post. It's been my practice to use copper braid to double shield signal wiring, but I've always also installed a single drain wire connecting one end of the double shield to chassis ground (typically a star ground that connects to house mains ground). As best I can tell, none of the tests address whether attaching the shield to ground offers any benefit.

Does anyone have any experience or informed thoughts on this? If the shield drain wires offer little or no benefit, I'd be very pleased to omit them.

MTIA, Derek

This may be more expensive than you're looking for, but the following cable is sort of triple shielded. A copper foil shield with two OFC braid shields, 22awg solid core silver coductor:

Neotech NEVD-2001, Sonic Craft

It's somewhat challenging compared to other coax cables because it is so thick (8mm or 8.5mm with techflex). The only BNC that I know would fit would be the Oyaide:

Oyaide SLSB BNC Plugs - Set of 2 :782 Japan New 4562112764127 | eBay

The Oyaide are solid silver pin, but inside barrel is 9mm. Once again, this could be too expensive for what your looking for. Also, having an all silver conductor medium could be too much silver for your application.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
This may be more expensive than you're looking for, but the following cable is sort of triple shielded. A copper foil shield with two OFC braid shields, 22awg solid core silver coductor:

Neotech NEVD-2001, Sonic Craft

It's somewhat challenging compared to other coax cables because it is so thick (8mm or 8.5mm with techflex). The only BNC that I know would fit would be the Oyaide:

Oyaide SLSB BNC Plugs - Set of 2 :782 Japan New 4562112764127 | eBay

The Oyaide are solid silver pin, but inside barrel is 9mm. Once again, this could be too expensive for what your looking for. Also, having an all silver conductor medium could be too much silver for your application.

Good tip, thanks. Diameter of cable is an issue for short cables like I need for test equipment.

Those special BNCs look more like a fashion product to me, so I let that pass.

Jan

Attachments

• PICWIRE22089.png
    PICWIRE22089.png
    139.4 KB · Views: 79
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.