Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Need some advice and modify and understanding a plate amp mod question.
Need some advice and modify and understanding a plate amp mod question.
Need some advice and modify and understanding a plate amp mod question. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2019, 01:53 AM   #1
aaron81182 is offline aaron81182  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Need some advice and modify and understanding a plate amp mod question.

Hello, and thank you. I have a ht in a box subwoofer by what orginally appeared to be a white van productuct but upon opening and further inspection I've discovered quality parts. Well I'm new to diy but have a strong technical background and would like to build a powered home sub from perhaps spare components or parts I can acquire cheap.

My question is this. I have a 5.1 subwoofer, with a toroidial transformer and solid construction missing original subwoofer. Can I modify the 5 channels of the amp and add their output power to make one powerful sub amp as I have no use for so many channels. I also aquired a passive sub from bic America with a nice xover and what appears to be dual voice.coil. how would I figure out the value of the xover, and should I implement it? Any ideas? Thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191201_175133.jpg (934.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 20191201_175153.jpg (909.0 KB, 23 views)
Old 2nd December 2019, 05:23 AM   #2
UserAbuser is offline UserAbuser
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron81182 View Post
further inspection I've discovered quality parts.
Looks like junk parts to me.

Quote:
Can I modify the 5 channels of the amp and add their output power to make one powerful sub amp as I have no use for so many channels.
No.

Quote:
passive sub from bic America with a xover, how would I figure out the value of the xover
you mean the crossover frequency ?
rough guide, plug the dcr of the driver and the component values into an online crossover calculator.
it wont be technically correct but should give you a ballpark figure.
Old 2nd December 2019, 05:59 AM   #3
aaron81182 is offline aaron81182  United States
diyAudio Member

So you cannot combine the 5 satellite channels into one more powerful channel for a subwoofer?
Old 2nd December 2019, 09:42 AM   #4
UserAbuser is offline UserAbuser
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Can I modify the 5 channels of the amp and add their output power to make one powerful sub amp as I have no use for so many channels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserAbuser View Post
No.
Quote:
So you cannot combine the 5 satellite channels into one more powerful channel for a subwoofer?
English is obviously not your native language.
Maybe this link will help clarify my previous answer.

Quote:
but have a strong technical background
Really ? In what field ?

Need some advice and modify and understanding a plate amp mod question.Hide this!Advertise here!