What about so called audio output transistors ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Did you readjust the output transistor bias after replacing them? It probably needs doing, and might make a big difference.

Oh, yes ! This amp had a bias problem on one channel. It turns out that the couple of input trans where quite shot. So I had to put a couple of selected equivalents with the highest same gain for both. It was then easy to set the bias.

I've found the Sanken and bought a couple of sets. So I be able to install them when I have to open this amplifier.
Thanks for your help !

Hello
I checked the datasheet, and found that the PNP and NPN have very dufferent Hfe. One is at about 25 and the other is around 150. How come they can be used as a push pull ?

Which data sheets? The ones I found both say 55 to 160 at 1 Amp. It's probably about 25 at 10 Amps.
In any case it's important to understand that hfe is normally very poorly defined and only very bad circuits care. Normally the current available to the base is several times the actual base current so it makes little difference whether the base draws 2% or 10% of that current. Circuits are designed for the worst case and if it happens to be better that's fine. A good example is a voltage follower which is the most common audio amp output configuration.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.