polypropylene capacitors

Thanks J.

The only reason why I referred to speaker cable, is because you included them, along with capacitors, in your "delusion, voodoo and faith" examples.

I'm not technical but can only put forward possible hypotheses to be analyzed for possible factors affecting sound.

My thinking regarding RF was that, if a speaker cable carries both RF from the air as well as analog frequencies from an Amp, that these may in someway affect each other causing smudging or smearing of sound be reproduced by the Loudspeakers.

Waves of the same frequency which are out of phase can amplify or cancel each other out. Can this affect the resultant Loudspeaker playback?

Affects may be subtle, and perhaps affect well set up higher end equipment, rather than cheap set ups which may have multiple sonic issues.

I'm open to correction in this thinking.

Hi pathway.

A friend of a neighbor visited my home the other day.

Being a fan of stereo hifi he heard that I was into Audio.

I put on a CD for him to listen to some Dali floor standing speakers I had set up in the top room. We were listening to Santana. He said it was a little bright he turned the treble to full minus and the bass to full plus.

It dawned on me in this moment, that each of us perceives this world limited by our unique senses.

If others cling to that which is measurable, they overlook the measurement of values beyond our knowledge, not to mention the ability of each of us to discern these.

Last edited:
I put on a CD for him to listen to some Dali floor standing speakers I had set up in the top room. We were listening to Santana. He said it was a little bright he turned the treble to full minus and the bass to full plus.
Did you think about the possibility that your high frequency hearing may not be at the same level as your friend, so you compensated this by increasing the treble, hence why your friend turned it down or that your friend prefers lots of bass.

It dawned on me in this moment, that each of us perceives this world limited by our unique senses.

If others cling to that which is measurable, they overlook the measurement of values beyond our knowledge, not to mention the ability of each of us to discern these.
This is nonsense, you are misunderstanding the difference between personal preferences and how measurements, science and the laws of physics further our knowledge and understanding of the world around us. Its not human perception. Would you trust someone designing a bridge on the basis it won't collapse because of their visual perception that it looks okay or would you prefer they used complex engineering to carry out load and structural analysis ?

Did you think about the possibility that your high frequency hearing may not be at the same level as your friend, so you compensated this by increasing the treble, hence why your friend turned it down or that your friend prefers lots of bass.

No, I ran the Treble & Bass controls flat on most Amps I use and listen too.

I was just trying to illustrate that we all have different hearing abilities and different preferences when it comes to frequency.

This is nonsense, you are misunderstanding the difference between personal preferences and how measurements, science and the laws of physics further our knowledge and understanding of the world around us. Its not human perception. Would you trust someone designing a bridge on the basis it won't collapse because of their visual perception that it looks okay or would you prefer they used complex engineering to carry out load and structural analysis ?

No, I was attempting to say that what might sound crap to you, might be enjoyable to someone else and this could be due to their physical limitations and or their tastes.

Please don't get me wrong.
I'd much prefer someone design Loudspeakers which provide measurably outstanding sonic performance and for these to actual sound outstanding.

But for some, they might not hit the spot due to the listeners physical limitations and or preferences.

Call it a bad job of trying to diffuse the stance between a couple of posters. :sigh:

Hi pathway.

A friend of a neighbor visited my home the other day.

Being a fan of stereo hifi he heard that I was into Audio.

One very important and variable component in every system is the listener ;)

The established objective criteria for SQ do not define it, but lack of adherence/compliance to them may define its bad quality.

Everything in a system affects its performance, to a degree, no matter how small; polishing the speaker cabinet may change the performance in some measurable way, maybe at -212dB down on other factors.

If I fart, it will alter the earth's orbit.

Do you recommend freshening up the exposed wiring of your speaker leads periodically?

If I have plenty of lead, I like to snip the ends off the speaker leads and expose fresh copper for termination.

Also 0000 steel wool rubbed over the speaker terminals to remove any possible oxidation.

Once they are soldered, they are soldered. Leave as is unless frightening green corrosion or similar shows up.

In non soldered "pressure" connections such as typical spring loaded or screw "speaker terminals" it might be useful pulling them away every few years and burnishing them.

But nothing to obsess about.

Good idea.
I have some many speakers at the moment, with a host of terminals.

Once I clear them out and settle on 2 or 3 pairs, I might solder the terminals as you recommend.

I like the tube connector type banana plugs.
The type that has a cone shape which slides over the bared wire and includes a pair of screws to fix the wire and then an insulator cover goes over it leaving the banana plug exposed.

Is solder tinned wire suitable for such connectors?