Picking resistors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am in the process of picking parts for a power amplifier clone I'm working on and two MM RIAA preamps.

As I am a firm believer, based on many tests we made with a friend, that resistors can make an audible difference (note that I used the word "difference", not improvement), I have been trying to select the parts carefully.

Basing my choices on Mouser availabilities and on Parts Connexion options (some expensive boutique parts), I am making my Excel list with two choices.

For the PC options I centered on PRP resistors, which some people consider a very good compromise for a reasonable price. Even if PRPs can cost twice the price of Mouser's, that is not always the case.

So I think I need further comments on what options to go for, at least for non-critical position parts. So let's state that what I consider "critical" are load resistors for RIAA preamp and feedback resistors for both power amps and preamp.

I would appreciate some further hints, on what you have been using that did add interesting things to the audio quality. And used where.

Lately I have been recommended to prefer Vishay-Dale types, which are not available for every value.

But the quiz part for me is PRP, as I am not sure if they deserve a shot.

Suggestions and comments are welcome.

Most positions are "non critical". Are you building solid state or tube gear? Mouser is a good option for picking parts as their search filter is pretty good. When you want stability and low drift e.g. for feedback resistors tricks like picking 4 resistors of the needed value and wiring two in series and then paralleling them.
When you hear a difference between resitors in a certain position check stability of the node on a scope. It might be a sign that the circuit oscillates and the miniscule differences in parasitcs change the behaviour of the instability.

Stick to metal film, and use precision parts where this matters (thermal coefficient is better with higher precision resistors too, note).

These days 1% metal film are not expensive and the go-to resistor for everything.

For surface mount "thin-film" means metal film, they are more expensive though, so only
choose them for the critical positions.

I am in the process of picking parts ...

Hi ! may i know which resistors do you have selected in the end ?

So let's state that what I consider "critical" are load resistors for RIAA preamp and feedback resistors for both power amps and preamp ...

i have the same feeling but i am looking for confirmation. I will try change the ones in a preamp of mine and listen. But a need a recommendation for a part above all suspicion ... an possibly not with a jewel price :eek:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.