MDL capacitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Account Closed
Joined 2018
Interesting claim, HF becomes both sharp and smooth... Meaningless waffle, show me the specs like self-resonant frequency, ESR, ESL...

I don't buy into those "claims" that those snake oil cap-makers seem to use as bait towards the uneducated crowds.
Because those types are easily swayed with smooth-talking marketers.
All those terms of "air", smooth, soundstage, speed, sparkle, etc etc etc, are nothing but BS when it comes down to real electronics fundamentals.
When you know, as I do, and have been trained, on the fundamentals of electronics, (in a real classroom with real instructors) before all this internet-based propoganda, you'll just laugh and ignore the hyped up "spices" added on to things, to make them sell to the unwary.

A while back, I read a sensible paper written on various capacitors by an accredited authority, who's background similar to mine did an extensive review of capacitors.
Poly, paper/oil, ceramic, etc, those esoteric brands included.
His findings explained all the "magic" properties that were simply marketing talk and fiction.

A capacitor is merely two plates seperated by an insulating layer, but to put a name like "Mundorf" on it apparently makes it better than a Sprague?
LOL!

Account Closed
Joined 2018
There are plenty of sound differences when using standard parts vs more expensive/boutique parts.
Just allow yourself to hear them.

You must think I'm a six year old child with no experience.
I'm actually 66, semi-retired, with over 45 years in the audio service industry.
And I've designed amps/audio as well..... professionally.

And believe me, I've seen and HEARD it all by now.
And so, I stick to my resolution that it's all just BS, only the uneducated fall for that hype.

A while back, I read a sensible paper written on various capacitors by an accredited authority, who's background similar to mine did an extensive review of capacitors.
Poly, paper/oil, ceramic, etc, those esoteric brands included.
His findings explained all the "magic" properties that were simply marketing talk and fiction.

Do you still remember the title and author of that paper or could even give a link?
Thanks!

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Do you still remember the title and author of that paper or could even give a link?
Thanks!

I came across it maybe 10 years ago, so no, I don't remember the author's name.
But being an old middle-aged tech now, with a proper upbringing in electronics, I have to agree that "names" on those capacitors are just that.... names.

Last edited:
Probably "Capacitor Sound" by Cyril Bateman, published early 2000s in Electronics World.

Print on capacitors doesn't matter, what is inside does and of course a lossy paper dialectric capacitor in a steel can will, depending on use, behave (and sound for that sake...) different from a different build capacitor.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Probably "Capacitor Sound" by Cyril Bateman, published early 2000s in Electronics World.

Print on capacitors doesn't matter, what is inside does and of course a lossy paper dialectric capacitor in a steel can will, depending on use, behave (and sound for that sake...) different from a different build capacitor.

That just might be the guy, I'll have to go over his work.

However, what I'm trying to state is that the "fancy capacitor" market appears to be aimed towards audiophiles with little to no formal electronic (and proper) electronic training, among others, and has bloomed into, along with other "fancy products" a huge money-making empire.

Decades ago, when home audio equipment was at its peak, way before the internet, manufacturers concentrated on their products, reviews were mainly valid, and people enjoyed the fruits of labor, and all was satisfactory and well.

But today, the internet has opened up a virtual market of "spend your money to get more" out of products that were just fine before - brainwashing the masses into believing "new technology" will wildly improve things.
And up to a point, improvements can be had....without serious spending.

And that's where the snake oil saw its new time to milk the masses.
Trying to make people believe that a capacitor with magical properties is worthy of purchase.
Or a wire....
Or some op amp...
An endless list.

But, electrons haven't changed, nor would they know the difference in what they travel through.
I've had the chance to compare, and using test equipment, noted if any differences can be had (that a human can detect) with various products.
And nowhere can I determine that some "fancy paper-in-oil" capacitor with a 2 to 3 digit money figure is justified as being superior to a well made reasonably priced one costing pennies from a reputable manufacturer.

Of course, I get arguments from people insisting that my findings are somehow flawed, since they've already spent the cash on such things, and want to stick up for their purchases.
It's no different than someone who bought an expensive automobile or cellphone, they don't want to hear that they've succumbed to marketing hype.

Out of my many capacitor purchases, there have been only (2) two that were boutique/audio-branded parts, and sometimes those parts are just actually better. I try and explore as many of the available options as possible myself.
If you don’t want to try and weed through all the syrupy, subjective, and often nauseating reviews before spending possibly more money than a part found in a common appliance, then that’s your choice now isn’t it.
Certainly not worth complaining about in this thread, there are others more attuned to that kind of banter.

So it appears that’s a “no” then as far as anyone actually having had any exposure to these parts, good or bad.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.