Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

PCB makers
PCB makers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th September 2019, 01:46 PM   #11
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlx View Post
i would like to use those china services, however they require a gerber file.

any suggestions to use china services when you only have a pcb image ?
I would advise getting a cheap PCBCAD package and generate the gerber files. I don't know of any manufacturers that do pcb's from pictures.
I have seen people on ebay who do "home made" pcb's that way.
Old 7th September 2019, 12:00 AM   #12
wg_ski is online now wg_ski  United States
diyAudio Member

For something that simple I would use tape, rub-on transfers, or draw it on with a sharpie. Then etch in FeCl3. No computer (or even credit card) required. For “a little more complicated “ one-offs I might consider toner transfer method but that does require a computer. Photo-transfer methods are too messy and you may as well just order them if it’s a) too complicated to just draw on in 10 minutes, b) requires more than 1 layer, or c) you need more than one copy.

I have done large 2 layer boards with a sharpie on copper clad blanks. It is a lot of work, and as cheap as board houses are these days I won’t be doing it again. When the only option for a 9x13 board was over $100 in quantity and all you need is 1 or 2, it made sense. Small, simple one-offs still make sense to do that way, because you can have it in the same afternoon and there one less opportunity for some malware on the web to hack your credit card.
Old 7th September 2019, 12:32 AM   #13
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

PCB makers
KiCad is an excellent open source EDA tool. I've been using it for schematic and PCB design for a number of years - highly recommended.

KiCad EDA
Old 7th September 2019, 02:13 AM   #14
sonicnuance is offline sonicnuance
diyAudio Member

I've had great luck with pcbway in china. Very high quality and excellent prices
Old 28th September 2019, 06:14 PM   #15
justmikey is offline justmikey  United States
diyAudio Member

I just wish I could find a supply of small well made boards that would allow me to mount a TO-220 package with a vertical heat sink and a couple pads for wire take outs. Something about 3" square or 2x3 with four corner holes for mounting.
Old 29th September 2019, 12:21 AM   #16
agent.5 is online now agent.5  United States
diyAudio Member

Also try the free, web based EasyEDA. It is integrated with LCSC, a component distributor. You can order your PCBs and get your parts (at China wholesale prices) at the same time.

PCB makersHide this!Advertise here!