Capacitors for RIAA Circuit

I am looking for some recommendations as to what kind and brand of caps to use in a tube phono-stage's RIAA circuit. I've had recommendations from REL-TFTs to Charcroft's Silver/Mica to Copper foil and propylene. Looking for help in selecting these.

Thanks in advance

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I have 1% Relcap TFT teflons for RIAA caps, John Curl recommends them.
Relcap Polystyrene ( and MIT RTX) are a lot cheaper, but all are hard to get in 1% values especially if the cap values are not a common one, I had to custom order mine from Parts Connexion. Do not use silver mica.

I burn them infor 500 hours ( 2 weeks) before auditioning, in the right presmp they are wonderfull, smooth, detailed, but you have to have your power supply, resistors, and circuit topology all top notch before considering them., theres no sense in putting them in a $200 phono stage.

Tefon or polystyrene/styroflex cap`s is on top for RIAA network.
BTW, one of Thorsten`s last RIAA preamp had Painton wirewound resistors (which are great, btw) and many Ansar MKP capacitors everywhere. In RIAA network, Ansar was bypassed with ERO MKP1837 (3.18e-3) and caramel (Sangamo ??) silver-mica (3.18e-4) equalization, to make a proper value.

Of course, capacitors should be around 1% tolerance.

You can put on the capacitors any way you want, but you'll quickly change them, I'm sure.
This is is pic of Thorsten last RIAA preamp.

Best diying.

Attachments

• Phono Torsten.jpg
    Phono Torsten.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 858
Last edited:
Philips KS series 1% polystyrene.

Even though polystyrene/styroflex capacitors are no longer manufactured, the KS are still widely available as NOS on eBay, at reasonable costs. The only con I can see is the steel leads, but overall it's a very good compromise. In spite of what has been said, the dielectric does make a difference: stay away from polyester and ceramic.

Reactions: 1 user
I use a variety of different types on film capacitors but then I try them in different places before deciding where to sit.

But I always use the MLCC on the first capacitor because I feel that it does the least damage, but I have not tried them in other places

Anders

I've had very good results upgrading the RIAA stages in two different Phono amps to Russian surplus military teflon capacitors.

It was reasonably inexpensive as the uf values are low the improvment in resolution and spatiality was quiet noticable. As has been mentioned depending on brand they can take around 200hrs plus to burn before they open up and come on song. You can speed this up with a burn in rig or just hook up a music player to the inpurt and leave on shuffle.

Some pics

Russian candy

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hand matched for closest values out of the 10

3 under 0.5% tolerance
3 1%-1.5%
2 2% - 2.5%

Two unused at 3.5% the capacitor tolerance rating was +/- 5%.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Installed

Last edited:
Philips KS series 1% polystyrene.

Even though polystyrene/styroflex capacitors are no longer manufactured, the KS are still widely available as NOS on eBay, at reasonable costs. The only con I can see is the steel leads, but overall it's a very good compromise. In spite of what has been said, the dielectric does make a difference: stay away from polyester and ceramic.

Those, and the lesser known, but more recent EMZ branded replacements as well.