Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Which shielded cable for internal amp wiring?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th September 2019, 05:50 PM   #31
Mark Johnson is offline Mark Johnson  United States
diyAudio Member

Search for the word "because" and then read that paragraph two or three times.
Old 8th September 2019, 01:12 PM   #32
tcpip is offline tcpip  India
diyAudio Member

You don't have many friends, I'm guessing.
Old 9th September 2019, 02:46 PM   #33
Speedskater is offline Speedskater  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcpip View Post
I'll check these cables out, but why use the shield for signal ground and the inner second conductor for a one-end connection?
Now that's a good question!
A better question might be:
Why use any Shielded Twisted Pair (STP) for an unbalanced RCA interconnect? When a coax with a heavy braided shield would be a better choice.
Old 9th September 2019, 03:50 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
Why use any Shielded Twisted Pair (STP) for an unbalanced RCA interconnect? When a coax with a heavy braided shield would be a better choice.
Not sure about "better". I think STP is better because the signal "live" and signal "ground" are both protected from EMI by the shield. Even if your circuit is unbalanced, you can get better protection of your signal if you keep the two signal wires unconnected with the shield.

Ideally even unbalanced circuits have their signal "ground" floating, so the pair of conductors can in effect give you some of the EMI immunity of a balanced connection.
Old 9th September 2019, 05:04 PM   #35
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

In that case triaxial would be better than STP
Old 9th September 2019, 08:04 PM   #36
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

If your source is floating and small (e.g. phono cartridge) then you may get some advantage from running a pseudo-balanced cable to an unbalanced input i.e. shielded twisted pair.

If the source is not floating (and most sources are not floating) then you need a low impedance ground connection, best delivered by a shield grounded at both ends. Given that, there is no point whatsoever in having two wires within the shield.

If the source is floating but large then you gain little from shielding the connection as the source itself will pick up noise.

Hence the only place where an interconnect can usefully be unbalanced twisted pair within a shield is a cartridge (or similar e.g. microphone - although these often use a proper balanced connection). The same applies within an enclosure if there are noise/hum sources within it - which there often are.
Old 9th September 2019, 10:18 PM   #37
Mark Johnson is offline Mark Johnson  United States
diyAudio Member

Did you notice the title of this thread? Did you see the first sentence of post #1?

Quote:
Which shielded cable would you use for signals inside your amp or preamp chassis?
Old 9th September 2019, 11:06 PM   #38
dexter is offline dexter
diyAudio Member

chill man.

i use mogami neglex 2539 quad, you can also use use mogami 2549 dual.
Belden or Canare also make similar cable

if you want to try unshielded you can also use twisted cat 5 or cat 6 cable. it's cheap and maybe you can get it for free (just ask nicely yr office network guy). Use cable sleeve if you want to make it look cleaner.
Old 10th September 2019, 02:46 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

I've been tempted to consider Cat 5/6 actually, when I need to run a whole bunch of signals from one point to another. Not common in a typical preamp or amp, but sometimes I wonder whether these cables will be better than the typical flat cable when connecting an off-board volume pot to a board. I think a flat cable is used there for convenience, not audio quality. STP Cat 5 seems the ideal choice for such use-cases. IMHO, that is.
Old 10th September 2019, 10:37 AM   #40
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson
Did you see the first sentence of post #1?
Did you see the last sentence of post 36?

A high proportion of internal signals are merely continuations of external wiring. For those that are not, the same principles apply.

For connecting a volume pot to a PCB I would normally use shielded cable. If possible, the ground should follow the signal path.

Which shielded cable for internal amp wiring?Hide this!Advertise here!