Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Ribbon/Flat Cable
Ribbon/Flat Cable
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th August 2019, 08:20 PM   #1
Xfi is offline Xfi
diyAudio Member

Default Ribbon/Flat Cable

I am still trying to make my X-Ray behave with minimal tooling. However I have reason to believe that the problem could well be the ribbon cable that is connected to the KSS-240a. Although I think I have found someone selling them, it is on the other side of the world plus it is not cheap.
Is there an obvious place I should be looking for such parts? What I need this time is a flat cable, 12 core, 100mm long & 13mm wide. Is this a difficult ask? Is there a supplier in the UK that specializes in such things?
It would be good to know for future reference as it seems a lot of these kind of cables are expected to flex many thousands of times during their service.
I am surprised at how much difficulty I am having finding some of the parts, having said that, this is not my area at all, so I may very well be being naive.

Last edited by Xfi; 25th August 2019 at 08:23 PM.
Old 25th August 2019, 08:51 PM   #2
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I have been repairing for many years as my profession and have never ever had to replace a flexible PCBoard.
If it is faulty, purchase either the correct part from Sony UK or one of their dealers, giving the part number or purchase another old CD player for almost nothing and use the cable from there.
Old 25th August 2019, 08:53 PM   #3
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Ask here;
Flexible Circuit PCB Manufacturer | Newbury Electronics
Old 25th August 2019, 10:15 PM   #4
Xfi is offline Xfi
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnell Electronic View Post
Thank you
Old 7th September 2019, 06:16 PM   #5
Xfi is offline Xfi
diyAudio Member

Got the correct ribbon cable installed. Great I thought, it's playing great!

Then it started!!!!

Towards the end of the disk this time, a small jump of a second or so but enough to destroy the listening experience. So I searched back to play the bad bit again and it jumped forward by a whole minute!?!? (while using the search function backwards)

It's already had a new genuine KSS-240a, a new ribbon supplying the same, all the cogs and wheels and teeth look ok (to me) and all the parts that allow the laser mech to move have been cleaned an given a very tiny amount of molykote.

I may be on the wrong track completely (as is the player LOL) but would it make any sense that it may be worse once warmed up?

It plays great when behaving, but then starts behaving like it has a bad disk even though the same disk will play fine in other players even other Sony machines.

Last edited by Xfi; 7th September 2019 at 06:19 PM.
Old 7th September 2019, 10:57 PM   #6
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

But did you try a different disc anyway?
Old 8th September 2019, 06:20 PM   #7
MAAC0 is offline MAAC0  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Is there a track gain pot on the PCB. Try a mm to the left or right.
Don't mess with the 3 laser pots. I ordered 3 KSS240 to replace two identical Sony units. The first one was OK, so repaired, then I moved to the second unit and ordered the second one which skipped badly. Ordered a third one and upon replacement all was fine.
China manufacturing is a roulette...
Old 8th September 2019, 07:41 PM   #8
Xfi is offline Xfi
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
But did you try a different disc anyway?
Yes. It did it again with a different disk.
Old 8th September 2019, 07:44 PM   #9
Xfi is offline Xfi
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAAC0 View Post
Is there a track gain pot on the PCB. Try a mm to the left or right.
Don't mess with the 3 laser pots. I ordered 3 KSS240 to replace two identical Sony units. The first one was OK, so repaired, then I moved to the second unit and ordered the second one which skipped badly. Ordered a third one and upon replacement all was fine.
China manufacturing is a roulette...
Thanks. I would have thought the KSS-240a I fitted would be good as it is a genuine Sony one.

Ribbon/Flat CableHide this!Advertise here!