Ribbon/Flat Cable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am still trying to make my X-Ray behave with minimal tooling. However I have reason to believe that the problem could well be the ribbon cable that is connected to the KSS-240a. Although I think I have found someone selling them, it is on the other side of the world plus it is not cheap.
Is there an obvious place I should be looking for such parts? What I need this time is a flat cable, 12 core, 100mm long & 13mm wide. Is this a difficult ask? Is there a supplier in the UK that specializes in such things?
It would be good to know for future reference as it seems a lot of these kind of cables are expected to flex many thousands of times during their service.
I am surprised at how much difficulty I am having finding some of the parts, having said that, this is not my area at all, so I may very well be being naive.

Last edited:
Got the correct ribbon cable installed. Great I thought, it's playing great!

Then it started!!!!

Towards the end of the disk this time, a small jump of a second or so but enough to destroy the listening experience. So I searched back to play the bad bit again and it jumped forward by a whole minute!?!? (while using the search function backwards)

It's already had a new genuine KSS-240a, a new ribbon supplying the same, all the cogs and wheels and teeth look ok (to me) and all the parts that allow the laser mech to move have been cleaned an given a very tiny amount of molykote.

I may be on the wrong track completely (as is the player LOL) but would it make any sense that it may be worse once warmed up?

It plays great when behaving, but then starts behaving like it has a bad disk even though the same disk will play fine in other players even other Sony machines.

Last edited:
Is there a track gain pot on the PCB. Try a mm to the left or right.
Don't mess with the 3 laser pots. I ordered 3 KSS240 to replace two identical Sony units. The first one was OK, so repaired, then I moved to the second unit and ordered the second one which skipped badly. Ordered a third one and upon replacement all was fine.
China manufacturing is a roulette...

Is there a track gain pot on the PCB. Try a mm to the left or right.
Don't mess with the 3 laser pots. I ordered 3 KSS240 to replace two identical Sony units. The first one was OK, so repaired, then I moved to the second unit and ordered the second one which skipped badly. Ordered a third one and upon replacement all was fine.
China manufacturing is a roulette...

Thanks. I would have thought the KSS-240a I fitted would be good as it is a genuine Sony one.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.