Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Resistors - Mundorf Supreme - very disappointing
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th August 2019, 09:44 AM   #1
Zuhl is offline Zuhl  England
diyAudio Member

Default Resistors - Mundorf Supreme - very disappointing

I've just replaced the resistors in my three way speaker. I've moved from standard ceramic wire-wound types to Mundorf Supremes at a cost of 90...

I was expecting the sound to be much better, however, it is much worse - very disappointing. There is a slight increase in detail across the mid and treble - if I wasn't so familiar with my test tracks I wouldn't have noticed this. However, there is now considerable sibilance and treble 'wispyness' which wasn't there before. It is not making for a pleasant listening experience.

This may be that 'burn in' time required, if that is a thing. But as it stands I will chalk the cost up to experience and switch back to good old cheap ceramics.

Naim NDX 2 + Naim NAC72/HiCap/NAP250/NACA5
Old 25th August 2019, 10:00 AM   #2
turk 182 is offline turk 182  Canada
diyAudio Member

are expensive parts supposed to make things better....
Old 25th August 2019, 10:07 AM   #3
cowanaudio is offline cowanaudio  Australia
diyAudio Member

Assuming the resistors you put in are the same value as the ones that came out and that you didn't miswire anything, the changes you think you hear are simply your mind tricking you. There is no measurable or audible change made. A double blind listening test is the only way to conclusively prove this. It's is a difficult task at this point so you'd probably be better off accepting what you've got with the knowledge you haven't made anything worse.

Our ears are actually pretty poor analytical tools, however the brain is a superb tool for filling in the missing information. This means we are easily tricked by our own brain. It's a tough concept to accept for the average audiophile.
Old 25th August 2019, 10:33 AM   #4
merlin el mago is offline merlin el mago  Europe
diyAudio Member

Aren't the resistors.
Old 25th August 2019, 10:52 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

if his mind is tricking him why isn't he saying they're great...he's disappointed with the performance of the parts and saying things are worse...expectation bias apparently isn't functioning the normal way....but that's an academic cop out just like we all hear differently....
Old 25th August 2019, 10:59 AM   #6
mbrennwa is online now mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

The Mundorf wire wound resistors have worked fine for me in the past, as have others. Sound differences between resistors are usually rather small, deep into the "mind tricks territorry". As long as the resistor values are right and nothing is broken, there shouldn't be such a huge sound difference as you describe.
Old 25th August 2019, 11:02 AM   #7
davidsrsb is offline davidsrsb  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

The first rule of modifying speakers is to measure them first, as a reference and also to check that everything is working before you start.
It's way to easy to make mistakes in the mod itself or to make get the reassembly wrong
Old 25th August 2019, 11:16 AM   #8
jamess8 is offline jamess8
diyAudio Member

Everything should be applied properly. Not always better parts equal better sound.
Here i mean tolerance of resistors. Once I compared ceramic resistors together with green jantzen superes. These cheap ceramic resistors differed even 0,1ohm.
Old 25th August 2019, 12:28 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

???are you saying cheap ceramic resistors have better tolerance....0.1 ohm is less than the lead and contact resistance of my multimeter, one would need an accurate wien bridge to measure resistance at those levels.
Old 25th August 2019, 12:32 PM   #10
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I've never had an instance where changing the resistor type in a speaker made any difference at all.

Resistors - Mundorf Supreme - very disappointingHide this!Advertise here!