Resistors - Mundorf Supreme - very disappointing

I've just replaced the resistors in my three way speaker. I've moved from standard ceramic wire-wound types to Mundorf Supremes at a cost of £90...

I was expecting the sound to be much better, however, it is much worse - very disappointing. There is a slight increase in detail across the mid and treble - if I wasn't so familiar with my test tracks I wouldn't have noticed this. However, there is now considerable sibilance and treble 'wispyness' which wasn't there before. It is not making for a pleasant listening experience.

This may be that 'burn in' time required, if that is a thing. But as it stands I will chalk the cost up to experience and switch back to good old cheap ceramics.

Assuming the resistors you put in are the same value as the ones that came out and that you didn't miswire anything, the changes you think you hear are simply your mind tricking you. There is no measurable or audible change made. A double blind listening test is the only way to conclusively prove this. It's is a difficult task at this point so you'd probably be better off accepting what you've got with the knowledge you haven't made anything worse.

Our ears are actually pretty poor analytical tools, however the brain is a superb tool for filling in the missing information. This means we are easily tricked by our own brain. It's a tough concept to accept for the average audiophile.

Reactions: 3 users
if his mind is tricking him why isn't he saying they're great...he's disappointed with the performance of the parts and saying things are worse...expectation bias apparently isn't functioning the normal way....but that's an academic cop out just like we all hear differently....

Reactions: 1 users
The Mundorf wire wound resistors have worked fine for me in the past, as have others. Sound differences between resistors are usually rather small, deep into the "mind tricks territorry". As long as the resistor values are right and nothing is broken, there shouldn't be such a huge sound difference as you describe.

Reactions: 2 users
I have just tried The Mundorf Supreme in my 4P1L preamp in fillament

they play just like Zuhl write,,not pleasent to listen to,,but with a super clear treble

if you want a resistor there are more polite to ears you can try Ohmite audio gold

i use them now ,,overall pleasant to listen to

and if someone not can hear different on resistor in speaker,,something in the link must be bad... best resistor i have tried in a speaker is Duelund

Reactions: 1 user
i have change resistor in my former speaker,,GR research LS9...not difficult to hear the different in resistor..

but lets also say,,,it is not night and day different ,,,,

in my 4p1l pre i have tried 5 different resistor,,,all have there signatur,,,and i vil say it is the same in speaker (only tweeter )

Interesting. I love the Supremes. Way better than white coffins or oxide. The carbon Duelund have not worked for me nearly as well.

At the same time, synergy is perhaps even more important than the quality of individual parts. Very willing to believe that upgrading parts in a crossover with a particular sound signature might not necessarily improve it.

Break in of parts, leads and solder joints should also not be underestimated.

Reactions: 1 user