Resistors - Mundorf Supreme - very disappointing

"I tried Mills MRA in the voltage feedback of opa... the result was not good VS others wirewound resistors. Seemed to me less transparent, and sadly colored. Good price though but unsuitable there."

I do not know if Supreme Mundorf resistors are better but sure they do not sound the same in my tweeter path...15 ohms R : The mundord has more clarity and notes seem ligther too. The cement 15 ohms gives in my setup a sligthy thicher treble, less ligth.
According your setup it maybe a useful part or not.
The difference id immidiatly hearable, it is however much less than changing the serie capacitors.

Some reported it needed break in. I didn't experienced it made any difference. Others say to solder on the flat metal area to avoid the long leads that would decrease the result?! I did not try, it appeared to me to be too much of the snaky oil side.
One I would be happy to try is the Vishat beyshlag diacrolic wirewound AC serie if existing above 5W. It seems also to exist in Ayrton Perry winding according the datasheet. The normal one gave me good subjective results in electronic circuitry like the feedback loop of opas.
My two cents

Yes, the MRA lacks transparency.
In his kef R900's tweeter path, my brother first tried the Supreme; even soldering directly on the flat outs was not very satisfying.
Because i have PHB 's on my R900's, he then tried the Ultra (which is Mundorf's PHB equivalent) : Bingo, much better, and a keeper...

Iggy, ive been fairly happy with the mills mra 12 on my tweeter circuits, the difference between the ceramics and the mra are …… (get ready for it) ……. night and day! :censored:
Looks like they are around $20 apiece! 2x the mills…….i suppose you’ve gone and peeked my interest now :cool:

edit; the ultra is $20 but it looks like the powertron is comparable at $10 ……..diferences?

Reactions: 1 user
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I believe it is a bad habit, diyers have to rank parts by order. We do diy to experiment and avoid marketing claims.

What I have learned is a passive part can work fine in a circuitry and not in another. It is very possible than this Mills RMA is the one you need. I.E. the best ranked in your partical setup and devices chain.
What I like with the good cement is they are neutral and forgiving...

So what I do is just an opinion among others. For instance some people like Elna Silmic II caps that will be NLA in septembet. I very do not like this cap for amps and dacs in several hifi I had. But at the rigth place it was the one needed in some cd playets refurbishing long time ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You guys still arguing How many angels can dance on the head of a pin? ;)

Why not arguing on something which could ... hmmmmm .... have at least some influence on Sound? :eek:

I mean besides "Brand", "colour" or the Phase of the Moon?

Mind you, the phase of a signal will definitely have more influence. :)

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Funny analogy...it is like to try to pass a wale in a needle.

I personally call that the last outrage to drosophiles...

Audio...size matters, lol.

Well that Vishay beyshlag is as cheap as a cement... And for the Vishay Powertron that is a bulk resistor I am almost sure the one made for Mundorf sounds the same.

Funny analogy...it is like to try to pass a wale in a needle.

I personally call that the last outrage to drosophiles...

Audio...size matters, lol.

Well that Vishay beyshlag is as cheap as a cement... And for the Vishay Powertron that is a bulk resistor I am almost sure the one made for Mundorf sounds the same.
yep is like a recipe...same time if you change a caps need to tame with a difference resistor or next caps .... in the end is distortion profile mix to taste

Reactions: 1 users
The largest influence on perceived sound is the listener, and they are never in the same state at different times, so the only hope for reasonably comparisons is switched AB comparisons at one point in time, at exactly equal volume, with double-blind setup. For equipment modiciations you can't compare old and new at the same time, so you really can't pick up anything but gross changes reliably by listening.

For a speaker crossover you are as likely to have changed the cabinet response taking the back panel off and replacing it as from a different type of resistor perhaps?!?

If you can setup some sort of computer switchable AB setup you can use software to do AB double-blind comparisons relatively easily, avoiding all the mind-games of trying to compare what you are hearing now to a memory of what you heard before...

On time I measured a 3.3 ohm resistor and a 3.3 ohm resistor
and they were both 3.3 ohms

I was crazy curious what the accuracy was with temp.
I set up a rather elaborate test.
The test took 5 seconds, by reading the 10 watts
printed on it.

Gotta tell yah, mind blown....woah

The largest influence on perceived sound is the listener, and they are never in the same state at different times, so the only hope for reasonably comparisons is switched AB comparisons at one point in time, at exactly equal volume, with double-blind setup. For equipment modiciations you can't compare old and new at the same time, so you really can't pick up anything but gross changes reliably by listening.

For a speaker crossover you are as likely to have changed the cabinet response taking the back panel off and replacing it as from a different type of resistor perhaps?!?

If you can setup some sort of computer switchable AB setup you can use software to do AB double-blind comparisons relatively easily, avoiding all the mind-games of trying to compare what you are hearing now to a memory of what you heard before...
100%....

I run a commercial mastering studio and I can do A/B testing to the ''end of the world''...This is the most interesting thing, ever.
One thing : I can do a master on the tuesday, leave all the gears and studio live and On when I quit, comeback the wednesday, print the same track again with the settings all the same, no changes at all.
Do a A/B with the tuesday's master VS the wednesday's, they sound different...

This is why, when I print a full EP/LP/Album, the day I print, I barely listen to it. I listen to it as kitchen listening music mode, doing something else. Then the next day, I listen to it in focus mode before sending it out. If something is not cool, I never retouch a track printed, I redo it...

Since doing that way I have less and less revisions...''First impression only happens once''...

I also changed my studio tweeter resistors to Supremes a month ago..It was barely one ohm = one dB, I lowered them by 0,3ohm.
They are working ok, I cannot tell a difference, between that brand and that brand, until I do a proper A/B.
It's bit more bright but that was what I was looking for.

Spending lots of time with x-over calculations to then use components with plus or minus 10% tolerance (20% overall range), makes a mockery of the calculations! I go for components with tight tolerances (1% to 5% max) & with no adverse characteristics (i.e. resistors that have low inductance....& inductors with low resistance, etc., etc.)...Also brands that are known for good quality...