Pal-nuts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking for some dimensions on a pal-nut that fits a standard potentiometer. I believe the threads would be 3/8" x 32. Picture attached. What I need is the *internal* flat to flat distance. [would be the outside flat to flat - 2x material thickness].

Attachments

• Palnut.JPG
    Palnut.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 196
There's no real reason for that to be standardized to just one value.
Also, these are stamped, so there are loose tolerances at best.
Why not use a regular 3/8" nut and lockwasher?

Trying to remove the electronics from a 1969 Magnavox Astro-Sonic 300 console. To get the tuner/amp out, one must first remove the faceplate which is held on by 4 recessed inverted pal-nuts. There is no way to get a socket around the outside of these nuts, one must work from the inside. Magnavox had a special tool for this, but I don't want to spend $$$ on a special tool for one operation.

Figure if I know the inside flat to flat I can make a crude tool that should work. (Basically just a long nut with the threads drilled out that fits inside the inverted pal-nut. Then a nut driver on the long nut from the top.)

Last edited:
Joined 2011
That's a real pain. They should have installed that essential tool somewhere in the chassis for future repairs.
I guess you could cut-and-try one, but those dimensions are not precise at all. Can you post a photo of this arrangement?

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Trying to do something better than using 'two screw drivers' or 'needled nosed pliers'. Oh, and the console itself is at the home of an across town acquaintance, so I don't have ready access to it.

I would go the needle nose pliers route and just remove one. Then see if you can make a tool from that nut.
Maybe a friend at a local university or maker space can 3D print one for you.

Last edited:
Some Astrosonics will fool you into extra work- the faceplate will pop off revealing a couple of screws holding the receiver in place, no need to remove the pal-nuts.

A couple of ideas that I've heard to work on them: ½" clear gas line, trim the OD to shape. A hex coupler or turnbuckle, or even a hex nut of fortunate size dropped in over the shaft.

Good luck!

Attachments

• hex coupler.jpg
    hex coupler.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 179
Some Astrosonics will fool you into extra work- the faceplate will pop off revealing a couple of screws holding the receiver in place, no need to remove the pal-nuts.

A couple of ideas that I've heard to work on them: ½" clear gas line, trim the OD to shape. A hex coupler or turnbuckle, or even a hex nut of fortunate size dropped in over the shaft.

Good luck!

The screws to remove the electronics are under the face plate. It won't pop off, I tried that. Your last suggestion is what I am trying to do, but it would be nice to know the internal flat to flat of typical pal-nut. Otherwise, I am going to drill out both a 7/16" and a 1/2" hex coupler (I called it a long nut) to clear the pot threads.

I did find one description that listed the outside hex of the pal-nut at 0.562 (9/16) and the material thickness as 0.017. That would make the internal about 0.562 - 0.034 = 0.528 - so the 1/2" *should* work. But I am going to drill out a 7/16 too just in case.

Wish me luck.

Last edited:
this is the most helpful thread on the internet re: the Pal nut driver --

with the info provided here as well as on the Facebook magnavox enthusiasts page, I was able to get a functional tool using a threaded coupling nut and a deep socket -

the key for me was having a friendly hardware man drill out the coupling nut with a 3/8th inch bit -- I had gotten a start but wasn't agressive enough to remove the material adequately inside the nut --

Another trick he used was a spring clip and coarse emery cloth - using the spring clip as a shaft and holder of a few wraps of the emery cloth he was able to ream out the inner part of the coupling nut -- he then followed it up with the 3/8th carbide bit --

All this for $4 -- try that at Home Depot!

Image here - https://i.ibb.co/y4DJCgB/IMG-20210220-134541277.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.