Bluetooth Speaker Midrange Tweeter Subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a BTR Portable 48V 10Ah Battery Pack that will power Nobsound TAS5630 2.1 Channel Class D Amplifier Board. My understanding is that I will need to feed the amplifier with 48V and 10-15Amps in order to get the most out of my speakers. I am trying to find a ON / OFF switch and I believe the switch itself should be rated for 48V and 10-15Amps, but I cannot find one. Any thoughts?:eek:

Battery:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L56QNFJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amplifier:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0711LCS91/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Few switches are rated for higher than 24Vdc, partly because that's the common case
(12V cars, 24V lorries/boats/aircraft). Large DC voltages are hard to switch as there's
no zero-current point to quench the arc, and if lots of power is being interrupted the arc
can grow large enough to short out the switch terminals completely - a fireball.

Try searching for "DC contactor" rather than "switch". Often its easiest to use something
solid-state to do the switching as no arc problem exists (for instance a DC SSR could be used).

Some of the physically large switches might be OK at 48V and 15A, you'd have to experiment a bit, large size means better arc quenching behaviour, but the higher the DC voltage the greater the problems. You'll need a dummy DC load that handles the full current to test the switch, which is easy if you happen to have a 4 ohm audio dummy load rated at 600W kicking around, otherwise tricky!

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
If you turn-off with the speaker silent, the current will be very low. When playing, the peak 13 Amps current will only be on musical peaks, the average will be under 2 Amps.

Ordinary home light-switches will handle this (DC) abuse many-many times. A pack of 10 is $10 so replace when needed.

As Mark says, breaking DC under load is liable to arc forever and burn the switch. Turn down before you turn-off.

Heavy-duty toggle switches rated 10A 250VAC will handle this OK. Get a 2-pack so if life is exceptionally short you are covered while you buy more or something else.
Amazon.com: DPDT Heavy Duty Toggle Switch - Spade Connectors: Car Electronics

Car/truck/boat battery cutoff switches WILL break this load.
Amazon.com: MagiDeal 100AMP Car Truck Boat Battery Disconnect Power Isolator Cut Off Kill Switch: Automotive

Last edited:
Have you considered using a very large MOSFET? You can get a 60 volt 100 or more amp device with a couple milli ohms on resistance much cheaper than a 50 amp mechanical switch. Last ones I bought like that were four bucks in onesy twoseys. It would just need a cheap SPDT to control the gate, one resistor (a k or 2 ohms) and a 12 volt zener to limit Vg. If you start with something like this you can even add features like over current shut down if you wanted to.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.