When is a millimetre not a millimetre?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bought some 5mm pitch caps off Ali-Express.
When they came they were 7.5mm.
So fit them best I could.
On my next pcb buy I made all the caps 7.5mm pitch holes.
Then I ran out so I purchased some more 7.5mm pitch caps.
When they came they were 10mm pitch FFS.
Don't they have rulers in China ?

Yep...the current one is called Xi Jinping, he's a communist. :D

Mike

The item was clearly described as 7.5mm pitch.
10mm isn't 7.5mm.

Here is the sellers reply.

"POWRE MA: Buyer,the picture is not clear.can you try send again?if you mean wrong foot pitch,our shop are standard and professional product,and this size is within the error range.
Can you consult a professional engineer.i think he'll give you good advice. "

A bit cheeky considering I have been in electronics since 1980.
AliExpress refunded me anyway.

It was known for shoes made in China that they don't follow the western standard numbers. They would be either a little bigger or smaller...

I once bought an XXL T shirt from China, when it came it was a UK medium.
I can see how clothes sizes vary as the Chinese tend to be smaller than Europeans. But a mm is a mm and they cant argue with that.

I can see how clothes sizes vary as the Chinese tend to be smaller than Europeans. But a mm is a mm and they cant argue with that.
But they put CE on everything even if it isn't CE.. they put 105degC on caps when they probably struggle at 85degC.. it seems to me the Chinese can and do claim all kinds of thing and they don't bother arguing.

Bosideng was once hailed as the Ralph Lauren of China. His company makes clothing for Adidas etc. Very good quality, down filled jackets etc. Bosideng opened a big flashy shop in London. I once tried on one of their coats. I'm 6ft and the XL jacket sleeve ended several inches up my arm. Bosideng later closed the store due to poor sales and I couldn't help wonder whether they just hadn't properly measured westerners. Or maybe I just tried on the wrong coats.

The *Factories* know very well what a mm is.
An Engineer or a Tech too.

A random guy who today works as a trained monkey in a Factory meaning blindly following a supervisor´s instructions without understanding them (nor need to) who moonlights earning a few Renminbi as a "Parts Supplier" having no clue, can easily make that kind of mistake.

I guess for them a "mm" is not a measurement but a "name", two "m" letters side by side.

So "5mm" parts are those in the blue boxes, "7.5mm" those in the green boxes and "10mm" those in the yellow ones.

Or maybe they think "larger is better" so if you complain , next time they send a larger size to make you happy :rolleyes:

I bet that if instead of 7.5mm parts you had asked for
7.5毫米的腿部分離
pronounced
7.5 Háomǐ de tuǐ bù fèn lí
he would have thought: "aaaahhhh!!!! why didn´t you say so ? .... why did you ask for seven point five em em parts?"

As a (somewhat related) side note:I have a chinese text printed T Shirt which I use often.
Every-single-time I get into a Chinese owned Supermarket guys read it in awe, look at each other and repress laughter. :eek:
To this day I can´t get a translation.:confused:

Not too different to: YouTube

:p

I wonder how many bits of medical equipment or aircraft controls or ship controls etc have been repaired using fake parts?
There's a guy online who a lot of people use to fix amps in the UK and I know for a fact he uses Chong etc caps in his repairs. Does a real neat job apparently and has good skills but uses these awful parts.

Last edited:
This attitude is infecting e-bay. I ordered a pair of 10.5 N (narrow) shoes from e-bay vendor sellin-n-dealin. That size is not for sale in athletic shoes in the Lousiville area - only leather nurse shoes. So he ordered me a pair of 10.5 M (medium) shoes from Amazon, which were delivered the same day since the warehouse is 8 miles away. I complained, he emailed a couple of bar code labels that I had to print to return them to Amazon, with a 7 day limit. He pointed out if I wanted another size, I'd have to order it after the return. I didn't want another size, I wanted the size I ordered. I could have ordered the wrong size from Amazon myself. I could have walked 2 blocks and bought the wrong size from Shoe Connection. I can't walk in medium width shoes, they turn so I walk on the outer last (side).
Printers don't have drivers for this op system, I'd have to buy a new windows 10 computer + printer to print Amazon bar code lables. I gave the shoes to a charity and am purchasing supplies to make my own **** shoes.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It was known for shoes made in China that they don't follow the western standard numbers. They would be either a little bigger or smaller...

There are no 'Western shoes standards'. UK, Germany, US, Netherlands, all vary for the same shoe. A 9.5 in US is a 44 in large parts of EU.

That's the nice thing about standards - there's so many to chose from!

Jan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.