Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

When is a millimetre not a millimetre?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th August 2019, 03:44 PM   #21
Duke58 is offline Duke58  United States
diyAudio Member

Is a millimetre the same as a millimeter?

Does the manufacturer state a tolerance?
Old 24th August 2019, 03:47 PM   #22
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

millimetre is sometimes used in the UK, but should be the same as a millimeter.

If this is still about the parts pin pitch, the tol should be in the data sheet.

Then again, sometimes 5mm and 0.2in is used for the same pitch as the difference is only 0.08mm

Jan
Old 24th August 2019, 04:31 PM   #23
jackinnj is offline jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merly View Post
Bosideng was once hailed as the Ralph Lauren of China. His company makes clothing for Adidas etc. Very good quality, down filled jackets etc. Bosideng opened a big flashy shop in London. I once tried on one of their coats. I'm 6ft and the XL jacket sleeve ended several inches up my arm. Bosideng later closed the store due to poor sales and I couldn't help wonder whether they just hadn't properly measured westerners. Or maybe I just tried on the wrong coats.
Ralph Lauren makes their own fakes -- they take garments made in Latin America remove the label of origin and replace with "made in USA"
Old 24th August 2019, 05:10 PM   #24
merly is offline merly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinnj View Post
Ralph Lauren makes their own fakes -- they take garments made in Latin America remove the label of origin and replace with "made in USA"

I try my best with limited funds to buy British or USA or Japan etc. I'll even seek out Taiwan parts in preference to Chinese parts. I resent everything being made in China and I don't trust a lot of what they make. Having said that, my Chinese made SMSL DAC appears to be rather well made, though I wonder if its Elna caps are real lol. They sound real I guess. My favourite amplifier is my British made Arcam. I have a few American bits and bobs such as clothes and I dreamt of American made BMX bikes as a kid, but I'm well aware that I am being played on some items. I am fed up of seeing made in China on everything.

Last edited by merly; 24th August 2019 at 05:13 PM.
Old 25th August 2019, 08:49 PM   #25
Xfi is offline Xfi
diyAudio Member

I have a Darkvoice 336se which I believe was made in China. To my untrained eye it seems very well made. Gold plated RCAs round the back, a nice positive click from the on/off switch and a very smooth and nicely weighted feel to the volume knob.
The only let down, not that I'm sure it was the Darkvoice's fault even, was that although it seems to be sold as a headphone amp it is also advertised as a pre amp but I couldn't get it to play nice with a Quad 303. Like I said it could've been my fault for missmatching .
Bottom line is that I would like a traditional British made valve amp (maybe Quad or Heathkit) but for the same sort of thing the prices, are vertical! I can't say however that I am disappointed with the Darkvoice, especially for the money, quite the opposite.
Old 25th August 2019, 09:06 PM   #26
vinylkid58 is offline vinylkid58  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xfi View Post
The only let down, not that I'm sure it was the Darkvoice's fault even, was that although it seems to be sold as a headphone amp it is also advertised as a pre amp but I couldn't get it to play nice with a Quad 303. Like I said it could've been my fault for missmatching .
Just an impedance mismatch, so yeah it's your fault. The Darkvoice is advertised as an OTL headphone amp, so will have a relatively high output impedance.

jeff
Old 25th August 2019, 09:55 PM   #27
Xfi is offline Xfi
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylkid58 View Post
Just an impedance mismatch, so yeah it's your fault. The Darkvoice is advertised as an OTL headphone amp, so will have a relatively high output impedance.

jeff
Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 04:39 PM   #28
RJM1 is offline RJM1  United States
diyAudio Member

What is the Chinese symbol for %? Maybe they thought that it was 5 ą 2.5 instead of 5 ą 2.5%
Old 26th August 2019, 04:53 PM   #29
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFahey View Post
The *Factories* know very well what a mm is.
An Engineer or a Tech too.

A random guy who today works as a trained monkey in a Factory meaning blindly following a supervisorīs instructions without understanding them (nor need to) who moonlights earning a few Renminbi as a "Parts Supplier" having no clue, can easily make that kind of mistake.

I guess for them a "mm" is not a measurement but a "name", two "m" letters side by side.

So "5mm" parts are those in the blue boxes, "7.5mm" those in the green boxes and "10mm" those in the yellow ones.

Or maybe they think "larger is better" so if you complain , next time they send a larger size to make you happy

I bet that if instead of 7.5mm parts you had asked for
pronounced he would have thought: "aaaahhhh!!!! why didnīt you say so ? .... why did you ask for seven point five em em parts?"

As a (somewhat related) side note:I have a chinese text printed T Shirt which I use often.
Every-single-time I get into a Chinese owned Supermarket guys read it in awe, look at each other and repress laughter.
To this day I canīt get a translation.

Not too different to: YouTube

The item description clearly said 7.5mm 400v 100nf polyester.
Just seems odd every time I buy a capacitor they are 2.5mm wider than what I asked for.
Very old English saying "Never mind the quality, feel the width !"

Last edited by nigelwright7557; 26th August 2019 at 04:55 PM.
Old 26th August 2019, 04:57 PM   #30
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke58 View Post
Is a millimetre the same as a millimeter?

Does the manufacturer state a tolerance?
No tolerance stated. 7.5 is 7.5 and not 10.
The difference is one fits the pcb the other doesn't without some serious pin bending.

When is a millimetre not a millimetre?Hide this!Advertise here!