Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Component quality and sourcing for a SMPS
Component quality and sourcing for a SMPS
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd August 2019, 08:33 PM   #1
Datun Walnut is offline Datun Walnut  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Component quality and sourcing for a SMPS

Here's a thing: I'm currently modding a Playstation PS1 for audio cd. So far I've modded the signal path and it sounds amazing. Now to start on the Switch mode PSU. I dont want to go down the linear route just yet.
All the sites I've been following re modding the PSU are German and recommend Elko caps. These are dear in UK as I can only find ones to import. What are good UK equivalents that don't cost an arm and a leg? In fact, how important is the quality of component in the PSU.? If the diodes are fast and the caps are smoothing does the name matter too much?
Old 24th August 2019, 08:55 PM   #2
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Some caps have a short life or a high ESR.
Buy from the likes of Farnell or RS.
Old 24th August 2019, 10:22 PM   #3
MarcelvdG is offline MarcelvdG  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Is Elko a brand of capacitor or just a generic German term for an electrolytic capacitor? It sounds similar to elco, which is a Dutch abbreviation for elektrolytische condensator, that is, electrolytic capacitor.

Anyway, like Nigel partly already wrote, lifetime, ESR at high frequencies, ripple current handling and temperature range are usually what matters for an electrolytic capacitor in a SMPS. You can find all of these at the Farnell site.
Old 25th August 2019, 03:43 AM   #4
synonymous is offline synonymous  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to synonymous
In addition to good caps, look at power supply chokes. My new design has dual stage chokes with caps. The chokes add slight resistance, enhancing the performance of the caps that you have in each stage. You can also consider using a higher voltage output smps and including a linear regulator at the output at the voltage you need.

Component quality and sourcing for a SMPSHide this!Advertise here!