Component quality and sourcing for a SMPS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's a thing: I'm currently modding a Playstation PS1 for audio cd. So far I've modded the signal path and it sounds amazing. Now to start on the Switch mode PSU. I dont want to go down the linear route just yet.
All the sites I've been following re modding the PSU are German and recommend Elko caps. These are dear in UK as I can only find ones to import. What are good UK equivalents that don't cost an arm and a leg? In fact, how important is the quality of component in the PSU.? If the diodes are fast and the caps are smoothing does the name matter too much?

Is Elko a brand of capacitor or just a generic German term for an electrolytic capacitor? It sounds similar to elco, which is a Dutch abbreviation for elektrolytische condensator, that is, electrolytic capacitor.

Anyway, like Nigel partly already wrote, lifetime, ESR at high frequencies, ripple current handling and temperature range are usually what matters for an electrolytic capacitor in a SMPS. You can find all of these at the Farnell site.

In addition to good caps, look at power supply chokes. My new design has dual stage chokes with caps. The chokes add slight resistance, enhancing the performance of the caps that you have in each stage. You can also consider using a higher voltage output smps and including a linear regulator at the output at the voltage you need.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.