looking for sensible quality caps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Farnell doesn't sell any garbage. Check their stock. For the .01 uf I would use vishay sprague orange drop, the polyprophylene ones, but they are quite pricey. Make sure the voltage rating exceeds the application. Put voltage and value in their selector tool, check stock only and no special order, they will show you what they are keeping. I believe they will force you to call the .01 uf a 10 nf, just because a rating has worked for 70 years doesn't mean we shouldn't change today.
The multi uf caps will have to be electrolytic, which are inevitably short life. Buy the longest service life rating you can find in stock, sometimes 3000 hr, sometimes 10000 hr. I've been happy with panasonic, nichicon, rubycon. Less strenuous end of life rating caps are united chemicon, CDE, multicomp. All those brands have performed okay for me in my organs & amps. Prior to the internet & debit card, I had to buy the TV store stock caps, probably 1000 hour service life rated or shorter. I've had to replace those electrolytics 4 times in my tube amp I bought in 1970. the 50 uf cathode bypass cap should be rated 25 or 50 v to maintain the capacitance value at the low voltage on it.
The starred sale caps are passed their shelf life. Charge them up with the ohms scale of a dvm to reform before using them.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm looking for advice on choosing good quality components for my first amp build. I want to avoid exotic and expensive (especially capacitors) but also want to avoid the cheapest components intended for disposable electronics. Any advice on buying good quality components would be appreciated.
I include a link to the build: The 6CY7 Amp | Cascade Tubes

An easy way to tell if components are quality, is a standard magnet, avoid components with steel legs, they are often low quality.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.