Sick of crap solder

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Never seen a lead closet bend before. thanks.
That video looks like a soldering demo, or better unsoldering video.

Lead melts at 620F degrees ish. Tin lead solder beings to melt at 363 ish degrees.

It is like soldering lead glass joints , the solder melts and if you are careful the lead does not.

What is the vintage of that house, is it in Maine?

There are those that are educated beyond their intelligence.

I remember the first electronics company I worked for.
My boss had a degree in electrical engineering.
He was great with formulas and designing stuff.
However, he fell apart if something didn't work.
When learning all he did was theory and no practical.
Quite often I was left to fix what he had designed and I was just City and Guilds qualified. When I learned we did theory in the morning and built up circuits in the afternoon.
My boss insisted that I do A level maths then later a degree course.
I found as I got more educated I lost some of my earlier intuitiveness.

For lead-free solder you need a proper eutectic one, not the tin/copper sort (which is used
for machine soldering only, it doesn't rework).

The commonest lead-free eutectic is 4% silver, 0.5% copper, 95.5% tin. This is entirely workable for hand soldering, melts at a somewhat higher temperature than lead-tin, but you need a temperature-controlled iron anyway. You cannot get away with leaving the soldering iron on unattended though, without lead the tip will start to oxidize after 30 minutes or so if not cleaned/retinned.

If you've tried a lead free solder that wasn't a eutectic you'd rightly think its dreadful. But you'd say the same thing for a 90% tin 10% lead alloy too!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.