Modding a cheap 24-position rotary switch from China

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ever felt tempted to buy one of those cheap rotary switches from China to use as a base for a DIY stepped attenuator? I was and I did just to find out that the detent mechanism was way too stiff for a stepped attenuator. So I had to figure out a way to mod it into something useful with a smooth tactile feel to it. I documented the mod as a blog post if anyone else run into a similar situation:

Modding a cheap 24-position rotary switch from China

Attachments

• IMG_1681.jpg
    IMG_1681.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 172
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
nice little trip :)

all what you really need is applying some quality graphite based grease in detent plate holes , and some audio-approved grease (I'm using same as on detent mechanism) on contact plates ......same as drop of car engine oil on shaft

that will ease rotation , make it smooth and if you use big knob , it would feel as 1M $

OK , I'm cheating ..... I'm using it as governor for Takamisawa relays , so no signal through cheapo

all what you really need is applying some quality graphite based grease in detent plate holes ... that will ease rotation, make it smooth ...
It was not enough on these switches that's for sure. They where really stiff, stiff beyond anything that any lubricant alone would fix. The new springs is what makes the difference. They are now really smooth comparable to the stepped attenuator on my vintage Technics SU-8600. A big knob makes it even better but is not needed after the mod.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.