Speakon vs banana vs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Available in 2 and 4 pole

And 8-pole.

Even good binding posts will work themselves loose over time. I don't mind banana plugs as long as the jacks are on 3/4" (19.05 mm) centres so I can use banana adapters. That said, the mating surfaces on banana connectors are usually pretty thin and I doubt those connectors were actually designed for high-current connections.

I much prefer speakON connectors for the reasons already mentioned.

Tom

Speakon:
Robust plastic construction, rotation to connect disconnect in socket, compression to fix cable tightly to resist mechanical pulling away when rotated to connect.

Would require a deeper space on the rear wall of the amplifier and possibly harder to hide - cosmetically. Possible solution to partially recess the rear wall.

Banana jacks were intended for test gear. They fall out, get loose, get inadvertently pulled out and if they short together with some amps BAM! Who in hell ever thought they were a good idea for audio gear?
My favorite connection scheme is the use of good old fashioned terminal strips along with high quality crimp lugs. Makes a secure gas tight seal that won't loosen up or corrode over the long run.

Can you imagine if all the electrical connections in your car were made with banana plugs?

As far as speakons go, I like them for commercial use. Maybe someday they will find favor in the consumer market. Certainly not a bad idea.

BillWojo

I like the idea of the cable stands. -0.02% THD. ETA: BTW, Speakons support the cable already.

I like Speakons because they go in one way, you don't have to look where you're putting them - you can just plug in behind the amp while it is tucked away (and they click into place). I've got some heavy gauge running with mine, and it's still a tad thin. Sometimes binding posts are mounted sideways (notably on speakers too), so who can know polarity without sticking your head over the amp to look? Also, banana connectors aren't the most secure way of fastening a wire onto a connector.

I also like Speakons because they're much more available here in South Africa than banana connectors (believe it or not). And there are plenty non-Neutrik connectors available. Also a lot cheaper than bananas and binding posts.

Dual banana jacks were the early secure PA alternative to 1/4 phone jacks for speakers which were the original bar band choice. If you tripped over the wire, 1/4 phones would pull out slightly & short the amp an blow up things, dual bananas just fall out and end the sound. 1/4 phone jacks will get old and auto-short also; have one on a PA speaker like that trying to work up the nerve to tear out the grill and go in to replace it. Have bought dual banana binders. Binder terminals with holes in them, the spare bare wire can short to the chassis, deadly to amps for bar band hookups.
Don't have any speakons yet, but they seem just the thing for a stage show. Trip proof, can't get phase backwards on a dark stage.
Screw terminals strips for spade lugs are on most of my gear; are safe to the amp when you trip on the wire, but take forever to hook up. No good for stage work. Just bought a 1990? MMA-875T amp with screw barrier strips believe it or not. Back to the 1960's. Architectural product, will work fine as a mixer to listen to the radio on my organ speaker yet let the organ play without swapping cables.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.