Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Relay coils polarity, why some matter and others dont ?
Relay coils polarity, why some matter and others dont ?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th October 2019, 09:15 PM   #51
mchambin is offline mchambin  France
diyAudio Member

One point, I do not remember and I am pretty sure, here there are ones who know.
When there is a current surge in a winding, are the Laplace forces pushing the coils outward or inward ?
Old 26th October 2019, 10:08 PM   #52
Mark Tillotson is online now Mark Tillotson
diyAudio Member

Outwards. With an iron cored coil the coil forces are small compared with the forces between pieces of iron as only a small proportion of flux is outside the iron core.

Lines of flux act like elastic strings that repel one-another. Energy density in a field is proportional to the square of flux density, so spreading out field lines reduces density lowering energy, and shortening lines reduces the total volume of field, again reducing energy.
Old 26th October 2019, 11:39 PM   #53
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagflux View Post
.....V/turn is generally the same regardless of voltage or kVA (I seem to recall 8 V/turn being a generalized target for power transformers regardless of size).....
Hmmm. Not arguing, but at the hundred-VA size we can't go over 0.1V-0.2V per turn without problems. This value declines, slowly, with core size.
Old 26th October 2019, 11:58 PM   #54
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

> pushing the coils outward or inward ?

The wreck looks "exploded". However the forces may be more complicated across the several windings and structures.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Winding-force-42.gif (20.4 KB, 30 views)
Old 27th October 2019, 12:57 AM   #55
mchambin is offline mchambin  France
diyAudio Member

I had a coil exploded in my country house.
A coil in a remote switch, that was not working anymore.
May be from some stupid repair attempt, may be from a thunder lightning, but there was no burn or such traces, may be from an inappropriate operation under 230 V.
For sure the coil made of thin wire had an exploded look with several of them pried out.
Any idea ?

Last edited by mchambin; 27th October 2019 at 12:58 AM. Reason: 3
Old 27th October 2019, 03:41 AM   #56
zigzagflux is offline zigzagflux  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRR View Post
Hmmm. Not arguing, but at the hundred-VA size we can't go over 0.1V-0.2V per turn without problems. This value declines, slowly, with core size.
Will try to look it up, the materials go back 25 years from my previous employer, Waukesha Electric Systems (also under names Hevi Duty, ABB, Magnetek, North American Transformer, ASEA). I believe V/turn is proportional to core area iirc.
Old 27th October 2019, 05:34 PM   #57
zigzagflux is offline zigzagflux  United States
diyAudio Member

A sample is attached. Fundamentally, it comes down to cost. As the size of the xfmr increases in VA, the copper loss becomes more cost-prohibitive than the core cost. So it becomes practical to increase the core cross sectional area in an effort to reduce the number of turns (increasing the V/turn and reducing the amount of copper).

This is in agreement with my experience in comparing small transformers we use in our amplifiers vs large power transformers measured in tens or hundreds of MVA. Small transformers have impedance largely dominated by resistance, whereas large transformers are largely reactive. They increase core size and crank up the V/turn, providing reactive behavior and limiting resistive losses.

Unfortunately I cannot find the 8 V/turn value anywhere; I suspect it was a particular unit I was studying at the time, likely in the neighborhood of 30 MVA base.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf xfmr.pdf (75.9 KB, 5 views)

Relay coils polarity, why some matter and others dont ?Hide this!Advertise here!