How to identify fake JFETs?

I sent the picture of the genuine jfet to the seller. He said that anyone could have made it, and that it proves nothing. Anyone know the source of the picture?

He offers a new set of transistors with IDSS in the BL-range. He will not send any pictures of the transistors, and it seems to me that he measures IDSS, nothing else. I could ask eBay to step in and try to get my money back, or I. ould get a new set that is likely fakes as well.

If you are talking about my pictures, it is my personal stock of 2SK170. Pictures were taken by me.
You should report seller to Ebay and ask for full refund.

Originally Posted by Cyberkul View Post
And if I did measure correctly, the VGS (off) is positive, not negative as in the spec sheet.

UGS in negative
here are my curves:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pas...ment-toshiba-2sk170-2sj74-33.html#post5800266
Thanks! Yes, I noticed that I misread the polarity after a while..

I tried to make a Vgs vs Id curve myself today. I think gm looks reasonable, about 28-33mS, depending on how high up on the curve I take the reading?
Not sure which values to use, but at least it is a high gain device.

Attachments

• gm 2sk170bl.JPG
    gm 2sk170bl.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 347
If you are talking about my pictures, it is my personal stock of 2SK170. Pictures were taken by me.
You should report seller to Ebay and ask for full refund.
I showed him both your pictures, and the one with text. Do you mean that the picture alone should be enough to say that my transistors are fakes? Can I be sure that the Toshiba casings are always like this?

Based on the IDSS I can report the seller anyway, since the BL range 6-12mA was stated in the listing, and these are clearly about 15mA.

I got a full refund from eBay for the transistors.
eBay seller punkydawgs (recommended by Nelson Pass) had some interesting information regarding these transistors. He said that in a bag of 200 1% or less would have a IDSS more than 12mA. Also, there have been production in other countries than Japan, and early versions that he could not say for sure are looking the same as on the pictures earlier in this thread. I think I use the refunded money for transistors from punkydawgs.

Both Fairchild and Motorola made the J112. ON Semi bought both of them. Which fab line did they keep?

Your lettering most closely matches the Fairchild lettering, but without the Fairchild 'F', and with a different font. You could see ON Semi just dropping the 'F' for a quick fix post-acquisition, but if they changed the font then it's harder to understand why they didn't add the ON Semi log (or at least re-centre the date-code).

A counterfeiter, on the other hand, might not have either the script-F or the circled-ON in their font. So the just left it off. Still, why in the world would you counterfeit a 38-cent part? You'd have to sell gazillions of them.

More questions than answers, I'm afraid.