Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

How to identify fake JFETs?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th June 2019, 08:13 AM   #61
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej25awd View Post
Just buy them from B & D Enterprises while they have them in stock. They are Authorized Distributor for Japanese transistor makes like Toshiba, SanKen, FUJI Electric, Shindengen, etc.
Thanks, have found them (I think) and sent off an email enquiry.

Andy
Old 14th June 2019, 11:06 AM   #62
kamis is offline kamis  Serbia
diyAudio Member

A few years ago, I bought some 2SJ74GR from Reichelt Elektronik, They were original Toshibas, confirmed by testing. And they all had 2mm line on top of the packages.
Old 15th June 2019, 11:26 AM   #63
davidsrsb is offline davidsrsb  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamis View Post
A few years ago, I bought some 2SJ74GR.....
It seems that the reserve of NOS Toshiba jfets has been completely exhausted. Your only hope now is pulled parts.
Old 15th June 2019, 07:45 PM   #64
808eengr is offline 808eengr
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aridace View Post
Fake semiconductors are routinely sold on eBay. So fake that even a Chinese tester can be used to detect an "outside the datasheet" issue like here, gate leakage current (~10nA).
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808eengr View Post
So not sure about these parts. Perhaps the other tests should be done? Or is the cheap China tester just that - a cheap China tester?
Following up on the cheap tester question. I have a few low Idss LSK389A purchased from NAC Semi I just tried to measure with the tester. (Using the low Idss because it will be used with higher Vds without cascode and wanted to keep the lower noise figure - datasheet for LSK389 states noise figure is at 2mA).

So here is a very genuine low Idss NJFET on the cheap tester. Perhaps it is the low Vgs that gives the tester difficulty. Wouldn't go by the tester alone, although it is a helpful device for quick tests, it is not very accurate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1197.jpg (625.1 KB, 112 views)
Old 15th June 2019, 08:26 PM   #65
scott wurcer is online now scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So here is a very genuine low Idss NJFET on the cheap tester. Perhaps it is the low Vgs that gives the tester difficulty. Wouldn't go by the tester alone, although it is a helpful device for quick tests, it is not very accurate.
I don't understand the continued mis-understanding here you CAN'T test and N channel JFET as an NPN transistor. What is not clear about this??????
Old 15th June 2019, 09:04 PM   #66
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
I don't understand the continued mis-understanding here you CAN'T test and N channel JFET as an NPN transistor. What is not clear about this??????
I was trying to show that these cheap testers were inaccurate so that others don"t use them for checking. Is that clear enough now?

The tester determines the part type. I am not testing a JFET using an NPN test. If you are unfamiliar with these testers you are making things unclear.

Last edited by 808eengr; 15th June 2019 at 09:08 PM.
Old 15th June 2019, 09:25 PM   #67
scott wurcer is online now scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The tester determines the part type.
Yes, the wrong one.

Quote:
I am not testing a JFET using an NPN test.
Yes you are.

It's obvious what the tester is doing, I'll leave you to figure it out.
Old 15th June 2019, 10:06 PM   #68
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
Yes you are.

It's obvious what the tester is doing, I'll leave you to figure it out.
Here's an LSK489 mounted the very same way in the same tester. Much higher Vgs.

I was trying to be helpful, not critical. If you had explained how the other person and myself testing JFETs with these testers are 'testing wrong' so to speak, well it would be very helpful. Not sure why being critical instead of helpful is the point of some of these posts. Whatever. . Have a great day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-06-15 11.47.04.jpg (803.1 KB, 101 views)
Old 15th June 2019, 10:09 PM   #69
diyAudio Member

Check the pinout on the datasheet if you want. I already did.
Old 15th June 2019, 11:31 PM   #70
Aridace is offline Aridace  Panama
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Following up on the cheap tester question. I have a few low Idss LSK389A purchased from NAC Semi I just tried to measure with the tester. (Using the low Idss because it will be used with higher Vds without cascode and wanted to keep the lower noise figure - datasheet for LSK389 states noise figure is at 2mA).

I always double check a device supposed to be a jfet on Idss because it's well specified in the datasheet. Re the 2SK170's (class "BL") I received, their Idss was at the lower end of the "GR" class which already is enough for the label "fake" - no need to measure gate leakage current. My impression is that the Chinese sellers know very well what they're selling. I received 2SK30A, 2SK373 and these jfets behave according to specifications (datasheet). I also received bipolars, 2SA970 "BL" and 2SC2240 "BL" but with hFE at the lower end of the "GR" class. Immediate refund (with apologies) after reporting that, no further questions asked.

How to identify fake JFETs?Hide this!Advertise here!