Looking for some small O-rings

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
roughly 8mm diameter; 1mm thickness

suggestions - THANKS

Charles

Take your pick from different material types below. Not affiliated with this outfit but have used them in the past for my regular E46 plumbing work.

Viton : Viton(R)/FKM O-ring 6 x 1mm Price for 25 pcs | eBay
Silicone : Silicone O-rings 6 x 1mm Price for 10 pcs | eBay
Buna: Metric Buna O-rings 6 x 1mm Price for 50 pcs | eBay

I agree with Jeff, the thinnest o-rings I found from local hardware stores are at least 2mm or 5/64" thick.

When there´s oil included, make sure their material is Silicone or EPDM. They can withstand grease, oil and all kind of solvents and will last longer. Standard rubber might be desolved after only a few months :)

There's a lot of o-ring rubber formulations so it very much depends on the solvents at play. Best to look at something like Cole-Parmer's chemical compatibility chart if there's ever a worry. With 1mm CS o rings like this, I'd be thinking an NBR would be the best bet.

Here's a short version of my take on the compounds:
  • EPDM: good allround compound
  • Buna/Nitrile: good allround compound except in presence of higher oxygen percentage
  • Viton: less good in abrasion resistance
  • Silicone: very poor shelf life: I have some that turned brittle after only a few years.
There's a big thread over at scubaboard, but that's probably overkill for audio.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.