Any idea what this is called?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is a volume pot shaft extender.

s-l1600.jpg

The little nut thing on the right (not the coupler) guides the shaft on the front plate. Any idea what that is called? I would like to buy more of them, hopefully that can support a thicker front plate.

Last edited:
Keystone (Keystone Electronics Corp. - Keystone Electronics World class manufacturer of interconnect components & hardware) calls them panel bearings, #1706 for 1/8" shaft, #1705 for 1/4" shaft.
Or, if it has to be 6mm, take some old pots apart.
I often use 1/4" nylon snap-in bushings as shaft guides. E

Excellent. Thanks!
What 1/4" nylon snap-in bushings do you use? I'm having trouble finding them.

update: I think the 3/8 mounting hole bushing have a 1/4" hole. Confirm?

Glad you solved it.

In case you think you can use 100 of them in a reasonable time, say you build more or less regularly and prefer thick panels where regular/commercial bearings/bushings do not fit, search for a Lathe guy who works with what we call "revolver" lathes, don´t know the English name, maybe "turret" lathes, the point being they have a rotating tool holder, up to 4 different tools,so they can quickly do up to 4 different jobs on bar stock .

The "little nut thing" is turned out of brass hexagonal bar stock.

Custom making these in a special size for you is a piece for cake for them, but they generally ask for 100 units minimum (which they can make in less than 1 hour) to justify setup time.

Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
..search for a Lathe guy who works with what we call "revolver" lathes, don´t know the English name, maybe "turret" lathes, the point being they have a rotating tool holder, up to 4 different tools,so they can quickly do up to 4 different jobs on bar stock ...

Yes, turret lathe. I have not seen one in years. Ours often had 6 tool-positions on the turret, and some side-tools.

This video shows several cuts and threads on small brass. You can see how, if paid piece-work instead of making a video, a machinist could zip-zip parts really fast; OTOH setting the several tools takes time so it makes little sense for few-part jobs.
YouTube

The smaller faster machine is Automatic Screw Machine, a Swiss invention to make many-many small clock parts (originally mostly screws) without multiple chucking and tool-settings. These may still be in "wide" use. Again, the set-up costs are hardly worth it unless you pay for hundreds or thousands of parts.

They were never common except in factories, and we don't make anything here anymore, and they do not interest hobbyists, so they probably mostly got scrapped.

For a few panel bearings, I would look at lamp parts. Threaded pipe bushings and nuts. The ID is *about* 1/4" like a pot shaft. If you can find real brass you can solder one nut to the bushing. If the ID is small, carefully run a 1/4" drill through. If large, find nylon bushings to fit, drilling or filing as needed. (I re-bushed the floppy levers on my tractor with PVC pipe, gently reamed with a drill.) Or a wood dowel.

Last edited:
Many turret lathes and screw machines have been replaced with CNC lathes. Job shops charge a minimum set up fee, but some will run a small number of parts for the minimum fee.

A manual lathe could crank out a few of the parts using a hexagonal collet and hexagonal stock.

8mm pipe couplers can be used.
They can be thru drilled to knock out the flange guide.
Also you can gently tighten the nuts in order to take up any slack if you leave the olives in place.
Bigger pipe fittings can be chopped up to male light shade rings if plastic ones have turned to dust.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.