Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Speaker wire
Speaker wire
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th June 2019, 07:53 PM   #41
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Speaker wire
Quote:
Originally Posted by schiirrn View Post
So it makes more sense to use low resistance wire and an additional resistor than just using cheaper wire that comes up with the same resistance as thicker wire plus resistor?
I find good wire better than wire + resistor so no, these are not perfectly equivalent.

dave
Old 18th June 2019, 08:23 PM   #42
wiseoldtech is offline wiseoldtech  United States
diyAudio Member

I want what comes out of my amplifiers to be fed without issues or changes to my speakers.
Anything else is nonsense.
Old 18th June 2019, 08:27 PM   #43
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Then move your amps to where the speakers are and use as short a wire as possible. I don't know what Dave would do under those circumstances, use fuse wire maybe?
Old 18th June 2019, 08:30 PM   #44
schiirrn is offline schiirrn  Germany
diyAudio Member

Nichrome wire.
Old 19th June 2019, 12:13 AM   #45
wiseoldtech is offline wiseoldtech  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
Then move your amps to where the speakers are and use as short a wire as possible. I don't know what Dave would do under those circumstances, use fuse wire maybe?

Yes, my main system has about 8 to 10 feet of 16 gauge zip wire to each speaker.
Old 19th June 2019, 12:42 AM   #46
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFahey View Post
In any case, good speaker designers must consider their cabinets being driven from a Voltage source (your average amplifier out there) plus, say, 0.1 or 0.2 ohms (cable and terminal resistance) in series.
And should not be rendered unusable by, say, 0.5 ohm

Which I bet they do, simply being realistic and designing stuff to be actually *used* in, say, a Living Room or equivalent.

Stuff which only works in a Lab environment but has problems anywhere else does not have much future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schiirrn View Post
Is this DIYaudio or an online workshop for engineers designing audio gear for Wal Mart?
Not sure whatīs your point.

Do you mean speakers should be designed to be used with superconductor cables only?

Or only viable speakers are active ones with speaker terminals soldered straight to transistor emitters?

Maybe you didnīt notice there is a difference between armchair designers, based *only* on Simulation and its World of Oz "ideal components", and REAL Designers, who must meet mutually conflicting: Specs - Cost - Deadlines - Suppliers - Personnel - Logistics - etc.

By the way, thereīs a dime a dozen of the first kind and the real ones are as rare as henīs teet.
Old 19th June 2019, 08:26 AM   #47
schiirrn is offline schiirrn  Germany
diyAudio Member

My point is that if a person builds a system that doesn't need to interact with other systems there is no need to consider these other systems and accepted standards for interaction.

A practical example for the abstract challenged: It's perfectly ok to design and build a source with an output level of 35Vpp and build the rest of the system to work with that in your home. It doesn't make sense to do that in a commercial product that will be connected into a system built to accept a 1.7Vpp signal.

Thats all.
Old 20th June 2019, 09:12 PM   #48
Speedskater is offline Speedskater  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdb View Post
Speaker cable is a terrible antenae and the amp is a large RF load. Any RF that gets past that is usually bypassed before the input stage. Dont care if people write about it, why dont they test it. it would be very easy to test by injecting some RF into a speaker cable and measuring the input. Show me the numbers, not the BS.
The person that often writes about it, is Jim Brown past AES committee co-chair on EMI/RFI and a Ham radio operator (who often does interference seminars and posts in interference forums).
It's a subject often touched on in his 50 papers and Power Points.
Audio Systems Group, Inc. Publications

As for testing, some of his AES papers are real world interference tests.
Old 21st June 2019, 02:08 AM   #49
jackinnj is offline jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member

Speaker wire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
The person that often writes about it, is Jim Brown past AES committee co-chair on EMI/RFI and a Ham radio operator (who often does interference seminars and posts in interference forums).
When I did 6m ham transmission, interference with the upper end of the FM band was my specialty!

btw -- had my first visit to "Play it Again Sam" a few weeks ago.
Old 21st June 2019, 02:35 AM   #50
academia50 is offline academia50  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galu View Post
The length of 'skinny' connecting wire inside a speaker cabinet is so short that it introduces an insignificant amount of resistance to the flow of current.

It is in the longer run between the amplifier and the speaker where the benefits of using a thicker wire to reduce resistance are obtained.

Using too thick a wire internally can cause problems in crimping or soldering the thick wire to the driver terminals as well as putting undue stress on the terminals due to the weight of the cable.

That is a real problem.
And there are cables that are extremely hard, so you have to secure them in some way so they do not break the terminal.
I found this way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 032 (1).JPG (602.3 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg 036 (1).JPG (633.8 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg 037.JPG (607.3 KB, 94 views)

Speaker wireHide this!Advertise here!