Sourcing transistors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If the emitter goes to the base of the output transistor, don't sweat it. Get a pair (npn,pnp) of the same package style, something of about the same introduction date as the amp, or later. You wan't more power capability, not less. Emitter followers are not critical components, except they handle significant current and power.
In TO220 I keep stock MJE15032/33. In TO225 I keep stock MJE340/350. If these are ancient enough to be germanium (pre 1964), scrap the amp, you can't buy much of anything but rejects.

Last edited:
The main ones are a NJW3281G if that's any help to you.

see photo attached

See? picture worth 1000 words. You certainly won’t find vintage RCA house numbered parts in the same amp with any variant of the 3281. And the 75xxx Fairchild part #s are easily recognizable if you’ve used them before. Nothing special, but pretty good bang for the buck. They’re meant for low to medium voltage bus switching, which makes the amp class H or G. The other mystery package is probably the commutation diode.

It says “75542” right on the package doesn’t it? That is the part #. That code that resembles a vintage RCA house # is some sort of lot/date code. They dropped the “HUF” prefix on the batch of 75344’s I’ve been using, too.

Of course you do want to figure out why it failed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.