Using higher ripple low impedance Panasonic FM instead of Nichicon KZ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Actually, not just on our planet but also in our solar system and probably within our galaxy. I guess you come from far far away where the laws of science are a bit different?

Defining high quality sound is not a matter for me to do. I prefer high fidelity sound, whose meaning should surely be obvious?

What do you mean when you say " high fidelity sound" ?. Something that shows nicely the square waveform on your wave graphic wave analizer ?. Of course that you can accomplish that with any cap ... and the amp will present the square pretty much the same.:confused:

I do believe that when you mentioned "I prefer high fidelity sound" in fact you mentioned that you prefer to check the amp thru your graphic wave analizer using the basic settings in order to be convinced that if the amp passes the test this means there is " high fidelity sound".
After reading your conclusions I don't think that you actually have any good piece of audiophile equipment you being more passionate about electronics and not music so you approach a theoretical proof based on different theory you accumulated in time from different sources .

What do you mean when you say " in our solar system and probably within our galaxy" ?. First of all you will never ever find any real proof that this solar system theory is real . All you will ever find are some 3D animated graphics videos showing Mars,Jupiter, Saturn..and so on but you will never ever find any real video evidence such system and a galaxy actually exist..

If you read all Roberts posts, it´s just about a capacitor fetisch. Started out with not even being humble of the guys, who´ve constructed the mentioned amps. I want to improve (by changing capacitors only). Why not buy an amp, that suits your ears. His threads are a vaste of valuable time.
Just my 5cents.

Hi

Regarding Technics SU-3500 I was thinking to use some higher ripple low impedance Panasonic FMs instead of Nichicon KZ which have poor ripple for the voltage regulator .

Is about four 220uf caps connected to the voltage regulators .

Input or output of the regulators? If input you don't need low ESR, the resistance of the transformer secondary will usually dominate. Sometimes resistance is added in this position to increase the conduction angle and cool the transformer. Low ESR can help keep caps cool and extend their life though, but it they aren't running hot to start with its not an issue here.

On the output side check the datasheet for the regulator in question in case there are min and max ESR requirements. Low ESR on the output can improve regulator performance (so long as it doesn't oscillate - which means checking the requirements to be sure).

Caps do breakin or form and change their Sound character with time in the working circuit.
Electrolitics do , Met Polypropylen do as well , i clearly
know it from my 25yrs of fixing and modifing audio and video equipment . Somehow caps always sound better after installation in the circuit.
Saying that it takes seconds or minutes is a lie .
Military uses break in equipment to break in or burn in caps before use so after installing these caps in critical military equipment these caps will work at their max performance or close to it.
PS Audio is breaking in their equipment only because break in really transforms the sound and some people are impatient or maybe little ignorant in thinking that equipment should sound perfect after just few minutes.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Given that we would never normally operate a cap at it's ripple current limit my view is that higher ripple values generally mean the cap is more likely to have a longer life when used conservatively, but within limits.

Eg. I would take a 2000ma ripple rating over a 1200ma rating for a cap that saw a real ripple current of say 700ma in service. No question about that but even then its not the whole story. You have to examine the cap lifetime vs ripple current (data sheets) to help make an informed choice.

If that same cap were used in a way that it saw no appreciable ripple such as across an already stabilised line then I would look at other parameters such as ESR, size, cost and temperature ratings while at all times considering how it actually used as a basis for choice.

ESR itself is probably not that important in the overall scheme of things for example in large reservoir caps simply because it is going to be 'low' anyway and will be augmented (or should be) by additional decoupling to maintain a low but defined impedance across a rail. Wherever possible circuitry should be designed to 'design out' the effects of different performance of electrolytics given that age and change pretty dramatically over many years.

That said, high ripple and low ESR often go hand in hand with caps of 'better quality', in other words top brands offering their best product.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
:worship:

Many people needed to die before everyone accept the Flat Earth :)

My books are too old, thank for that fresh information. :D

Is it still two layers ?

Pan FM : soft, but fatiguing mid-treble (something arsch). I avoid but // to FC in some situations.

Pan FC : clear and cold no distorsion heard, I call them "Neutral and detailled"... but can be sometimes too much on the crystal side with light, not meaty (why FM are liked in the low register by beginners ears.
Pan FR : can save many thing, they are warmer and darker than FC without being like the FM. Has not the main default of the FM in analog path.
Pan FK... tried and avoid, FC are far better.

Last edited:
Given that we would never normally operate a cap at it's ripple current limit my view is that higher ripple values generally mean the cap is more likely to have a longer life when used conservatively, but within limits.

Eg. I would take a 2000ma ripple rating over a 1200ma rating for a cap that saw a real ripple current of say 700ma in service. No question about that but even then its not the whole story. You have to examine the cap lifetime vs ripple current (data sheets) to help make an informed choice.

If that same cap were used in a way that it saw no appreciable ripple such as across an already stabilised line then I would look at other parameters such as ESR, size, cost and temperature ratings while at all times considering how it actually used as a basis for choice.

ESR itself is probably not that important in the overall scheme of things for example in large reservoir caps simply because it is going to be 'low' anyway and will be augmented (or should be) by additional decoupling to maintain a low but defined impedance across a rail. Wherever possible circuitry should be designed to 'design out' the effects of different performance of electrolytics given that age and change pretty dramatically over many years.

That said, high ripple and low ESR often go hand in hand with caps of 'better quality', in other words top brands offering their best product.

Thanks Mooly,

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
HI CAPer,
Fact that equipment can take few hundred hours for caps to form and sound at their best?
Not a fact at all. It is your opinion. What takes time is for people to get used to how something sounds.

I've spent years undoing the damage recap "experts" cause in equipment, not the least is the damage to a person's bank account.

Old capacitors can use replacement, but the good quality new capacitors bought from the proper supply chain is the way to go. It really helps if the capacitor fits.

-Chris

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
high ripple and low ESR often go hand in hand with caps of 'better quality',
It sounds as though dissipation is a factor..

Regarding increasing the rating using a pair.. I had a case where I needed 330uF no more, no less. Shown below, ripple was more than 3A. I used it until I discovered this exceeded the part rating.

Would I have been able to use a pair in series, or in parallel? According to the Panasonic FC data sheet, the ripple rating is not absolutely proportional to the size of the package, nor the capacity per a given Voltage rating. Both methods would end up with less than a doubling in allowable ripple, but assuming this helps..

Which way would be preferred?

Attachments

• Untitled2.png
    Untitled2.png
    44.3 KB · Views: 172
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Hummm, the main problem with caps view from my simple user side is to know how long they last before not being good enough in relation to our audio needs. And it's not an easy one learned to me knowledgeable fellows here...but getted off the circuit for an individual measurment with a good lcr bridge.
Smps, coupling etc...caps are important, so I would believe than better after few hours than after 15 000 hours and 20 years, even with derating choose for the caps?

why would military labs use capacitors burn in benches and running caps for hundreds of hours before installing caps into critical circuits? Caps will perform better after forming and break in period , not you our your brain gradually adjust to poor sound and make it better more acceptable ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.