Best tube among the family of EZ80

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, tell me, please, which of the tubes of the EZ80 family is the most musical (for example, telefunken, mullard, brimar or another) - due to construction or materials used? What period? 1960s?
I plan to use such a tube in the power supply of a low-power single-ended amplifier at 6s45p (6s15p).
Thank.

Last edited:
You would need to test each sample of each design of EZ80 in your amplifier. Sample variations make it impossible to predict which one will add the 'something' you prefer to your amplifier. Thus if you found that a particular Brimar sounded 'good' then this does not mean that all Brimars (even of the same design) will sound the same.

An alternative is to design your PSU so any non-faulty EZ80 would work OK.

Thanks for the answer.
I thought that by now such a kind of “leader” among the EZ80 is already known.
I ask about it. The power supply, of course, is designed so as not to depend on the specific type of tube.

I will illustrate my question. The two photos clearly show the differences in the design of the EZ80.
Due to the fact that there is quite a lot of tubes of this type, I wouldn’t want to do a great job of comparing them (which someone may have done for a long time, and its results are known - except for me).

Attachments

• EZ80_1.jpg
    EZ80_1.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 289
  • EZ80_2.jpg
    EZ80_2.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 240
nmsp18 said:
I will illustrate my question. The two photos clearly show the differences in the design of the EZ80.
But they are both EZ80. The one on the left will run with hotter anodes because the radiating surface is smaller. The active part of the cathode/anode will be about the same for each; if not they would not be EZ80.

Rectifiers sometimes work quite hard, so the important question is how long they last not how good they sound.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.