Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

What were they thinking? Newark vs Mouser & DigiKey
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th February 2019, 05:31 AM   #1
VictoriaGuy is offline VictoriaGuy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default What were they thinking? Newark vs Mouser & DigiKey

I needed to replenish my resistor supplies, so I placed my first order with Newark ('Canada')last week.

Opened the package tonight.
I thought :"I'll take a couple of minutes to put these in the parts bins."
I was surprised to find no part description on the parts bags.

See attached pics.
Even discounting the very high shipping cost (double the competition) and slow delivery, that would have made my 'future shopping' decision easy!

"fool me once, etc etc...."
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Newark.jpeg (123.5 KB, 536 views)
File Type: jpeg Mouser.jpeg (155.3 KB, 545 views)
File Type: jpeg DigiKey.jpeg (168.7 KB, 542 views)
Old 15th February 2019, 06:50 AM   #2
MarcelvdG is offline MarcelvdG  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

That's a bit unhandy, but it's not so difficult to guess from the manufacturer's part number that it's a 470 kohm +/- 5 % resistor.
Old 15th February 2019, 07:09 AM   #3
sottomano is offline sottomano
diyAudio Member

In that specific case maybe....for me, there are no excuses. Such information is mandatory on a label, once placed the data field in that printing program it doesn't cost a dime anyway.
Old 15th February 2019, 07:51 AM   #4
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

To the defense of Newark, these orders are overwhelmingly for customer purchase departments. Those people are not necessarily interested in what it is, probably wouldn't recognize a transistor from a power supply. All they need to know is if the order code has come in for project XYZ, and the manufacturer needs to know which code part has to be inserted in which position on a board.
If you have ever outsourced board assembly, you know this.

The extra info that Mouser and Digikey give is a nice gesture to the hobbyist (I appreciate it too!), but no more. It all costs money, setting up and maintaining a cross reference list between manu code and actual name/value etc for a million parts, linking data bases, verifying merge fields, that kind of stuff. If they think it doesn't lead to more sales, why spend the money?

Jan
Old 15th February 2019, 07:54 AM   #5
mchambin is offline mchambin  France
diyAudio Member

That's a bit unhandy, but it's not so difficult to guess, unless you are color blind, that Yellow Violet Yellow Gold is a 470 kohm +/- 5 % resistor.
Old 15th February 2019, 09:23 AM   #6
mt490 is offline mt490
diyAudio Member

It goes either way, there's quite a few parts which would have almost the same descriptions but absolutely aren't substitutes - dual transistors in different layouts for example.
Old 15th February 2019, 09:31 AM   #7
sottomano is offline sottomano
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.didden View Post
[....]The extra info that Mouser and Digikey give is a nice gesture to the hobbyist (I appreciate it too!), but no more. It all costs money, setting up and maintaining a cross reference list between manu code and actual name/value etc for a million parts, [...]
Not all customers are hobbyists or big manufacturing companies.
There are also thousends of R&D labs who do not have sophisticated ERP software and warehouse.

Also, the cross reference is already there....look at the description in the catalogue:
https://www.newark.com/c/passive-com...hole-resistors

There are simply no excuses, sorry.
Old 15th February 2019, 09:54 AM   #8
indianajo is offline indianajo  United States
diyAudio Member

Newark US has two labels. One is an internal routing label as you show. The other shows the vendor part #, their part #, and a short description. About one part out of 100 misses the part # label on my shipments.
I find Newark US UPS charges half what mouser charges. Usually about $6.80 for the 500 miles there. I guess they get a bigger volume discount from UPS. Mouser is never less than $12, perhaps because they are 1000 miles away. Then if I order from Mouser on Thursday they send it 2nd day air for UPS surface rate so it gets here on Monday. USPS priority would have delivered on Saturday for free, but Mouser doesn't allow that.
If you can wait a day or two, specify Royal Post shipment. Newark has the option. USPS is sometimes cheaper than UPS ground. Definitely if you're 1000 miles away, because UPS has a distance charge and USPS doesn't. If your location is coded as a residence, UPS & FedEx have residence charges, USPS doesn't. Probably Royal Mail doesn't either. My house is coded business UPS, residence by FedEx. Two FedEx surface trucks will pass my house before the special residence truck gets here about 1700. Digikey tried to force me to FedEx last week with an alleged $7.99 flat rate. I've been hit with the residence surcharge before after being quoted great FedEx prices, so I specified USPS. It got here the 2nd day at 0930, which never happens with UPS surface rate because of their morning truck special charge. UPS is always after 1500 on the 2nd shift truck.

Last edited by indianajo; 15th February 2019 at 10:09 AM.
Old 15th February 2019, 09:58 AM   #9
mchambin is offline mchambin  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt490 View Post
there's quite a few parts which would have almost the same description but absolutely aren't substitutes.
Almost the same number: This is how, expecting some specific data receiver, I badly needed on the field, I received a "adder carry look ahead". Cost me an extra week delay waiting for the right stuff.
Old 15th February 2019, 10:12 AM   #10
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Not taking sides, just curious: can you please post a scan of the actual bill?

I guess items are separated there, each line reading something like
Quote:
" 470k - 1/2W - metal film resistors - Qty 12 - some kind of part code , either Mfr or own - unit price - total price"
the bill part code matching the one on the bag.
Yes, slightly more inconvenient than "just reading it on the bag" but not necessarily a deal breaking problem.

Please do.

Last edited by JMFahey; 15th February 2019 at 10:14 AM.

What were they thinking? Newark vs Mouser & DigiKeyHide this!Advertise here!