What were they thinking? Newark vs Mouser & DigiKey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sure; see attached.

I'm a 'retired guy who is a hobbyist', but even for me I'm not interested in spending time matching codes between shipping lists and plastic bags (or reading the resistor colour codes through the package) when I could be spending time doing something more productive or amusing.

You would think that the people who make these decisions - to deliberately NOT print part descriptions on the bag labels- would 'check out the competition'......

I'm surprised nobody -yet- has pointed out that it's better than just getting one bag with all the components mixed together.... :)

That´s about what I expected ..... excellent data on the bill :yes:

Suggest them they also print the relevant "verbose" ID on bags themselves, since they already have it in order and formatted at the bill.

As of a practical kludge today, specially if you won´t open those bags yet, maybe you can photocopy the bill, cut strips for each item and tape or glue them to bags ... better than nothing.

To everybody.
Are you aware, packing is highly automated.
No, they do not have a mob of imps running all over wharehouses to fill in your orders

According to the customer service rep I talked to after receiving the wrong parts (I ordered LM334Z, I got green LEDs) the bins are close and the person must not have noticed the wrong part number on the bag. Each LED was in it's own bag BTW.

Mouser and Digi-key have Canadian branches so you don't pay duties if you pay in CAD. Newark doesn't. That coupled with the absurd amount UPS charges for brokerage etc. on UPS Standard means it's usually cheaper to order from Digi-key, especially a batch of transformers.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
After receiving not-what-I-ordered a few times, I now make it a practice to check off the line-items on the order sheet, against the individual packets in the box. Notice that all three distributors print the customer line item # on the parts packet.

While doing this, it would take an extra ~20 seconds per parts packet, to copy the part description from the order sheet to the packet. I'd use a black felt tip pen for extra legibility. A very mild annoyance. Now I've got labeled parts packets AND a complete cross-check between the order and what was actually delivered.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
because they were 7 cents each

Actually the tiny fine print at the bottom tells you what is in the bag. I once ordered 2200 resistors (Vishay Dale RN55 and 60) and now have a great game to play if I find myself with no drying paint to watch - going back and relabelling the bags with a marker. I should note as well, I need to do this in the next few months because the ink they use starts to fade and then the game will become much more fun with a multimeter...

Digikey 'almost' always delivers next day if you order before the cut off time. Shipping is free over $100 which is all my orders. Mouser is free shipping as well but only makes the next day more often than not but not reliably. Newark is a 'next week' thing and shipping is always added on top.

Actually the tiny fine print at the bottom tells you what is in the bag.
You are correct.
This is really embarrassing - the first packet I pulled out of the bag actually had the label folded over the edge a bit and I completely overlooked the very fine print at the bottom. :eek::eek:
Gotta wear those reading glasses all the time...
So quite a bit of my rant was entirely unfounded.
My apologies!
I'm still miffed about the slow delivery and very high shipping cost, though.

This should add to the amusement of readers here, I'm sure!:D

Move along folks, nothing to see here.....

Joined 2004
Paid Member
You are correct.
This is really embarrassing - the first packet I pulled out of the bag actually had the label folded over the edge a bit and I completely overlooked the very fine print at the bottom. :eek::eek:
Gotta wear those reading glasses all the time...
So quite a bit of my rant was entirely unfounded.
My apologies!

This should add to the amusement of readers here, I'm sure!:D

I don't think you need to apologize (that's far too a Canadian thing to do). I only realized that the description was there after a year of looking up Vishay part numbers and using Google to 'remind' me of their nomenclature.

My turn to be Canadian now and apologize - it's Mouser labels which do the disappearing trick, not Newark. Score - Digikey 3, Mouser 2, Newark 1

Attachments

• Mouser_Newark_resistors.jpeg
    Mouser_Newark_resistors.jpeg
    249.3 KB · Views: 260
My apologies!

With farnell being international, one does have to watch to not multi-source product and not cross international boundaries. Newark is only farnell USA. I think the canadian branch is called farnell, not newark, but I'm no expert. Type farnell.com and put your flag in to get your right warehouse stock.
I always check "stock only" and "no delivery surcharges" on the selector table. Else you'll end up with stock from UK or other at $20 a line. Also, UPS & fedex across the canadian border is known to have a rediculous "loan origination" fee. Don't order from the US, and if you have to, ship it USPS which turns into Royal Mail at the border with customs happening without special fees.
To the point above, the tiny print description does fade in about 3 years on Newark baggies. I put rating, voltage, hours life (on caps), in sharpie, since it takes me decades to burn off stock. Alsothe bigger letters are faster when I'm pawing through a stack of baggies (in rating order).

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I don't think you need to apologize (that's far too a Canadian thing to do). I only realized that the description was there after a year of looking up Vishay part numbers and using Google to 'remind' me of their nomenclature.

My turn to be Canadian now and apologize - it's Mouser labels which do the disappearing trick, not Newark. Score - Digikey 3, Mouser 2, Newark 1

Interestingly, there is a field for a customer part # there. So if you fill that in when ordering, it's printed on the bag.

'Re for the badass amp' would look nice on the bag, right? ;-)

Jan

My Digikey and Mouser orders always ship from the USA.

But you are correct about Newark; "Newark Canada" is a mailbox only.
Premier Farnell Canada Ltd.
c/o T27537 PO Box 4275
Postal Station "A"
Toronto
ON
M5W 5V8

Interesting. Most of my Digi-key orders ship from Winnipeg.

Look for "Terms DDP" when you buy. This means the shipper pays duties and brokerage, not you (Delivery Duty Paid).

In Canada, order only from farnell.com which warehouse is in Canada. Newark is a US brand bought by farnell; always ships from US warehouse, unless you order UK stock with the $20/line fee. So in Canada Newark.com purchases from Canada would always have a cross border fee (which is cheaper by USPS instead of default UPS) .
Digikey has a cross border fiddle which saves buyer customs since their warehouse is in Minnesota. Digikey gets US stock to winnipeg under their own ownership.

In Canada, order only from farnell.com which warehouse is in Canada. Newark is a US brand bought by farnell; always ships from US warehouse, unless you order UK stock with the $20/line fee. So in Canada Newark.com purchases from Canada would always have a cross border fee (which is cheaper by USPS instead of default UPS) .
Thanks for that idea.
When I typed in farnell.com, (from my computer in Canada)
Farnell element14 | Electronic Component Distributors
it asked for my location.
When I checked 'Canada', it immediately switched to:
https://canada.newark.com/
which is where I'd ordered from.
As the old saying goes:"They get you coming or going!"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.