Non-snake oil input coupling cap recommendation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2015
Paid Member
I'm looking for input coupling caps for a headphone amp I'm building. The amp is discrete and the output is direct coupled. The input caps are 0.47uF.

I personally don't have an electronics background so can't reason why one design is better than the other, and for lack of better knowledge believe subjective opinions on whether boutique cap A is better than boutique cap B.

Reading other cap recommendation threads, subjective opinions about caps whether they are Mundorf, Jupiter, Jantzen, etc etc are quickly disregarded as snake-oil and request for measurements and numbers are requested as proof.

So my question here is directly to those who stick with the electronics theory, which brand / material type of film cap do you rely on if needed for input coupling?

Thanks

At .47uf you can go with many of the industrial film capacitors available. Film/foil is probably extravagant, but mkp is good. Just find one with the right package for your PCB. I don't think you need to worry about voltage rating in a headphone application. Smaller package is beneficial in many ways from an installed loop inductance perspective and/or RF pickup.

There is also pps, but likely polypropylene will work.

Looking at mouser, I'm okay with all the manufacturers.

I'm looking for input coupling caps for a headphone amp I'm building. The amp is discrete and the output is direct coupled. The input caps are 0.47uF.

I personally don't have an electronics background so can't reason why one design is better than the other, and for lack of better knowledge believe subjective opinions on whether boutique cap A is better than boutique cap B.

Reading other cap recommendation threads, subjective opinions about caps whether they are Mundorf, Jupiter, Jantzen, etc etc are quickly disregarded as snake-oil and request for measurements and numbers are requested as proof.

So my question here is directly to those who stick with the electronics theory, which brand / material type of film cap do you rely on if needed for input coupling?

Thanks

What will fit?

You're probably looking at metallized polypropylene in the best case if you can fit it.

ECW-FD2W474J4 Panasonic Electronic Components | Capacitors | DigiKey

This is one of the physically smallest in that size.

If they are surface mount, PPS is probably the best you can do. If you need to go electrolytic to fit, then try something like Nichicon Muse ES or Panasonic SU (both bipolar) and go for a larger value.

Last edited:
Joined 2015
Paid Member
Thanks for the info.

The PCB allows for a generous sized cap in that location, there is space for about 42mm length.

At Mouser, the Cornell-Dubilier 930C and 940C seem most appropriate

The "audiophile" equivalent I was considering is a Jantzen Superior Z-Cap which cost around $11 each (vs $4.8 for the CDE), so not much difference there in terms of pricing.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.

The PCB allows for a generous sized cap in that location, there is space for about 42mm length.

This mouser part seems the most appropriate:
Cornell-Dubilier 930C

The "audiophile" equivalent I was considering is a Jantzen Superior Z-Cap which cost around $11 each (vs $4.8 for the CDE), so not much difference there in terms of pricing.

If you can find one that fits, I would try to get a "stacked" box type cap rather than an axial "wound" construction. I am not sure the one that I linked is actually stacked or if it is wound and dipped, but anyway, the stacked construction like Wima MKP should in theory have lower inductance. Not that it really matters. I'm sure the CDE cap you picked will be fine.

The only "upgrade" would be if you can find a film and foil PP cap (not metallized). I am not sure you can find one in 0.47uF though. Well - maybe you can if you're willing to go huge. I would not worry with an MKP cap though.

Last edited:
I'd just go with one of the metallized polypropylines. You might be able to go with smaller Panasonic or Wima and increase the value. I don't know what the cutoff frequency of the high-pass filter is but that would probably be better bang for your buck than going to a giant film and foil cap.

The Kemet looks fine if you don't mind paying over $4 a pop, compared to the 1206 version which will set you back $0.85 for ten (on Mouser). Unreasonably affordable for NP0 caps, I had to read the datasheet through to check its not a mistake!

Apart from the diminished size which means less noise pick-up, I can't think of any advantages of NP0 over metallized PP.

Silly prices for unnecessary specifications.
It is an amplifier for headphones, not a precise instrument working at VHF and above.
You may want to ask yourself why professional engineers and renown manufacturers, like Sony, Panasonic, Technics, Bose, Quad and even B&O use an electrolytic as a coupling device.
More than adequate in my professional opinion and it will save you from empty pockets, unless of course you want to waste your money just to make you think that it will be better, as many DIYers seem to do.

WOW is this thread convoluted the response that had the link to an informative article I read in 1980 is the only real science discussed but yeah dielectrics matter. Also understanding the diff between film and foil and where to apply it. Learning instead of an AD-HOC opinion can keep the snakes away from the door while you make your best choices.

Rest assured that Science and Technology have advanced immensely and any product from one of the large Industrial manufacturers will be VERY good and more than enough for the task.
Besides, an input capacitor is an "easy" job: almost non measurable current through them, and almost zero voltage drop between terminals, since value is usually chosen to cut frequencies well below the audible range.
My point is they are not stressed by any means so no need for exotic parameters or construction.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.