Valve amp build 5050 or 6061 aluminium sheet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,
I am in the process of designing a valve amp case and thinking of an alumminium sheet top with wooden sides. On one project I read that 1/8” 6061 aluminium is needed.

I have come across some nice satin anodised 3mm aluminium sheet which is 5050 grade. I have looked up the difference online and am stilll unsure.

3.0 mm SAA Aluminium Sheet - Guillotine Cut - Signs Metalworking & Engraving | eBay

Which grade aluminium should I be looking for?

Can anyone point me and others in the right direction please?

Other options could be copper or stainless steel.

Thanks

Hello- 6061 aluminium is probably the most common aluminum alloy, so it's most likely less expensive and more commonly available. The only reason I can think of to use 5050 would be if you are going to weld it. As far as copper and stainless, it would be a matter of how much you want to pay. Copper and stainless are going to cost you more.

I would use stainless steel, purely for aesthetic reasons.
That would be the only reason I'd ever use stainless.
It is miserable stuff to work with, compared to aluminum (aka aluminium) or even steel.
For flat panels I use whatever I can get my hands on, cheaply.
Some aluminum is 'sticky' when drilling or cutting, so cutting fluid of some kind (even WD40, kerosene) helps with that.

I'd forgotten just how hard stainless can be until I got some kitchen splashbacks laser cut.
Had to trim a few mm due to out of square walls.
I'd only use a stainless panel if I was having it laser cut & was sure I'd not missed any large holes and that any small screw holes not pre-cut could be reached with a drill press.
Does look smart though.

Another option is brass sheet. It cuts easily and you can finish it real nice and smooth and silky, then spray it with some clear lacquer so it will stay nice. Or, just leave it raw and let it oxidize. Same with copper, but copper doesn't cut as nicely, it's kind of gummy like some stainless steel. However, copper and brass costs more, but you're not building a airplane or spaceship. If you're concerned about machinability, use some 303 stainless steel.

Thanks for all the replies. I only want the aluminium for a top plate like this

img_3975.jpg

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
5000s Aluminium alloy - Wikipedia
6000s Aluminium alloy - Wikipedia

Both 6061 and 5050 are listed as "universal".

You are not building a billion-dollar fighter plane where you need exceptional strength for weight or elaborate forming and welding. You are not building a $9.95 lawn-chair where you need absolute lowest price.

For a flat plate with a few holes, one-off, DIY-economics, I'm sure either (or others) is fine.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
10 bucks for a 8"x16" 1/8" panel is a very good price, buying one at a time. The shop up the road would charge $25 just for the cutting-fee. If I needed hundreds of dollars of metal, he would pencil-up a better price, but little jobs pay through the nose.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.