Please ID this switch!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was cleaning up my parts bins yesterday and came upon this toggle switch with an additional component and lug, which I must have salvaged from something.

Any ideas as to how it works or what it's for would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Attachments

• mini-DSC_0034.JPG
    mini-DSC_0034.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 176
  • mini-DSC_0032.JPG
    mini-DSC_0032.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 179
  • mini-DSC_0033.JPG
    mini-DSC_0033.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 170
If it is old enough, that disk thing could be a spark gap. Gadget to prevent huge overvoltages. Air breaks down in the gap, arcs. I saw one in modems made in the late seventies.
Cutler Hammer used to make first class power switches. Now globalized; no opinion anymore although their circuit breakers & boxes now seem to be second level.

Use your ohmmeter and find out which contacts are closed at which position. With these infos it might be much easier for us to speculate about it's purpose.
Best regards!

Sorry, should have posted this info earlier.

The question is :'What is the disk thing with the two leads?'

It's a SPST switch as far as I can tell without disconnecting the 'disk'.
The disk device seems to be a direct short connecting the black wire lug to the adjacent lug on the switch.
When the switch is closed, the end of the disk device is connected to the white wire.

Attachments

• switch wiring.jpeg
    switch wiring.jpeg
    41 KB · Views: 65
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.