Parts and components salvaging

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello to all, I have questions regarding harvesting old components and whether it's worth my time or not.
I come across telecomm electronics and test equipment before being recycled. Everything works, just old and out of calibration.
I hate to think of discontinued parts being melted down if they have any usable life left.
Please, can someone let me know if I am just wasting my time, or is their certain parts I should watch for?
Thanks in advance,
Almo

Electro-mechanical parts, transformers, variable capacitors, switches and inductors, crystals.

On test equipment you'll find filtered mains input connectors which are expensive when purchased new, same with fuse holders (even fuses).

Often times you'll find a AC-DC or DC-DC brick power supply which is still working. I used one on my Marsh headphone amplifier.

For the 1980's HP and Tek stuff one can often dispose of the subassemblies on EBay.

I recycle tons of stuff out of computer PS's. Wire, rectifiers, large capacitors, TO insulating hardware, fans, IEC jack.

The biggest savings come if you can recycle an enclosure. If you are handy you can make a new front panel out of aluminum or wood and make it look good as well.

Circuit breakers, big power resistors. Line entry, fans. Power switches. Big film capacitors especially if there are matched pairs. Chokes. Power transformers if they have 24-90 vac output useful for audio with 8 ohm or 4 ohm speakers. 24 or 36 or 48 dc supplies can supply automation like actuators, stepper motors. 12 & 48 vdc useful for LED lighting.
Some very old telco stuff had amplifiers with lots of parallel power transistors, heat sinks, or the like.
Op amps if socketed, line drivers, other IC's. trim pots. Front panel controls.

Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> a propane torch

In Cold-War days, we could buy ex-military mystery-boards for a few bucks. Rejected for whatever reason, then the GOLD fingers cut-off for salvage (back when Gold was thick), and dumped in bins.

I salvaged a lot of BJTs and some caps with a torch and beating the edge of the bench.

Me too.
When I was a poor teen student interested in Electronics, think late 60´s, I used to buy junk IBM mainframe boards by the kilo and use the "burn and slap" method: melt solder with a propane torch and slap component side on a newspaper covered table; got over a hundred mystery transistors, diodes and ceramics from each batch.
Guess they were discrete Flip Flops and similar.

Similar to these, but at least 4x larger:

Single-and-double-width-SMS-cards-from-the-IBM-1401-Processing-Unit-Photo-courtesy-of.png

When I was a poor teen student.....and use the "burn and slap" method

I did the same thing. These digital music synthesizer boards were made in 1971 from recycled RTL logic chips burned off of blood measuring equipment obtained from the dumpsters at the Coulter Electronics plant near where I grew up.

HINT: do the torch on a PCB stuff outside. It STINKS UP THE PLACE and some of the fumes may be toxic.

Attachments

• RTL_Synth_A.jpg
    RTL_Synth_A.jpg
    762 KB · Views: 507
I've ofter throught it would be a good thread to have showing photos of recycled parts used to build amps, power supplies etc.

There is a guy on Ebay UK who sells empty equipment cases - including some military with the guts taken out. I got a few HP pulse generator cases from him and they were great for housing power supplies for my Class A Power Amp. They are built like a tank and also had some extra goodies like power switches etc.

Cheers

Mike

Ebay link?

Hi Mike,

Do you maybe have a link to this ebay seller, please? Many thanks for the goodies, now to make time after work to get down to things. Though first busy testing & "profiling" BJTs small, medium and large with my new DCA55. This is a process that needs lots of space and containers.

On track though - I have managed to get hold of quite a number of not economically repairable UPSs at work. Lots of inductors, but most especially heatsinks to be had. A few componnts may be salvageable, but most of these have blown FETs and/or caps. Most are 8 to 10 years old so the electonics is generally too olde to be harvested. I have never thought of reusing the cases though. Will do so in future though, as these are normally soildly built blighters.

Kevin

Last edited:
Hi Kevin,
the ebay seller is mjtronix but he is on ebay UK and I am not sure if he ships internationally, but worth a try.

I eventually bought 3 case from him as I got a good deal and he was a good guy to work with.

I have attached some photos showing the cases:

the first is the raw case with the inner rails etc removed

The second is the Class A power supply installed (Transfromer, mains DC offset remover, softstart circuit and smoothing board)

The third is the final result looking cool.:eek: - sorry about the crappy photo

Best regards

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_3073.jpg
    IMG_3073.jpg
    461.9 KB · Views: 413
  • IMG_3075.jpg
    IMG_3075.jpg
    504.6 KB · Views: 409
  • IMG_3072.JPG
    IMG_3072.JPG
    849.1 KB · Views: 413
Test equipment photos

Thank you for the replies. Here is a few pictures. I just need to learn which parts/Components to spend time on and which ones go in the bin. Bourns, mills, dale, switchcraft, helitrim, are some notable brands. I am currently digging for heatsinks and power supplies for my upcoming ACA project-anything I can do to mitigate the exchange/duties and lower my cost.
Thank you, Almo

Attachments

• 20181124_101810.jpg
    20181124_101810.jpg
    991.4 KB · Views: 356
  • 20181104_132416.jpg
    20181104_132416.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 342
  • 20181104_125156.jpg
    20181104_125156.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 172
  • 20181104_125716.jpg
    20181104_125716.jpg
    982.7 KB · Views: 169
I've ofter throught it would be a good thread to have showing photos of recycled parts used to build amps, power supplies etc.

There is a guy on Ebay UK who sells empty equipment cases - including some military with the guts taken out. I got a few HP pulse generator cases from him and they were great for housing power supplies for my Class A Power Amp. They are built like a tank and also had some extra goodies like power switches etc.

Cheers

Mike

I have though about this, especially for certain areas of the world that don’t have access to parts through the same channels as most of us.

I know whenever a device is put out to pasture in our house, it goes through the shop first, and whatever can be quickly removed is saved in a bin for experiments or use even.

Another hint for re-using stuff is to look on Ebay using the search for "Amp for spares or repair" or similar, as you can get very good chassis and components that way.

Also, look for items located near you that require personal pick up. They will usually have less bids and thus be significantly cheaper.

Cheers

Mike

Salvaged STK392-110's

Yesterday I've salvaged a pair of Sanyo STK392-110 thick film hybrid modules from a scrapped colour TV. I've been in the hope that they were the AF section, but got dissappointed by the look at the datasheet. They're designed for the convergence section in CRT colour TV's :(. The datasheet also says that there are three separate class b power amplifiers in each module. Are they of any use in audio, or should I better scrap them?

Best regards!

No, but due to the interest in that era of 'retro' there's sporadic demand for that sort of stuff, so might be worthwhile to keep around if there's no need for the space.

The chip could be used as a multi-channel bench supply though. But once it's blown, it's blown!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.