Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Parts and components salvaging
Parts and components salvaging
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th January 2019, 04:10 PM   #11
kodabmx is offline kodabmx  Canada
diyAudio Member

Use a heat gun instead (or a rework station). No need for flames.
Old 9th January 2019, 05:53 PM   #12
wrenchone is offline wrenchone  United States
diyAudio Member

Flames heat a larger area quicker. Anyone with half a brain will do this outside...
Old 9th January 2019, 06:36 PM   #13
fredbloggstwo is offline fredbloggstwo  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I've ofter throught it would be a good thread to have showing photos of recycled parts used to build amps, power supplies etc.

There is a guy on Ebay UK who sells empty equipment cases - including some military with the guts taken out. I got a few HP pulse generator cases from him and they were great for housing power supplies for my Class A Power Amp. They are built like a tank and also had some extra goodies like power switches etc.

Cheers

Mike
Old 9th January 2019, 06:46 PM   #14
ferret is offline ferret  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default Ebay link?

Hi Mike,

Do you maybe have a link to this ebay seller, please? Many thanks for the goodies, now to make time after work to get down to things. Though first busy testing & "profiling" BJTs small, medium and large with my new DCA55. This is a process that needs lots of space and containers.

On track though - I have managed to get hold of quite a number of not economically repairable UPSs at work. Lots of inductors, but most especially heatsinks to be had. A few componnts may be salvageable, but most of these have blown FETs and/or caps. Most are 8 to 10 years old so the electonics is generally too olde to be harvested. I have never thought of reusing the cases though. Will do so in future though, as these are normally soildly built blighters.

Kevin

Last edited by ferret; 9th January 2019 at 07:02 PM. Reason: addendum
Old 9th January 2019, 07:43 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hi Kevin,
the ebay seller is mjtronix but he is on ebay UK and I am not sure if he ships internationally, but worth a try.

I eventually bought 3 case from him as I got a good deal and he was a good guy to work with.

I have attached some photos showing the cases:

the first is the raw case with the inner rails etc removed

The second is the Class A power supply installed (Transfromer, mains DC offset remover, softstart circuit and smoothing board)

The third is the final result looking cool. - sorry about the crappy photo

Best regards

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3073.jpg (461.9 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3075.jpg (504.6 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3072.JPG (849.1 KB, 113 views)
Old 10th January 2019, 07:37 PM   #16
almo is offline almo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Test equipment photos

Thank you for the replies. Here is a few pictures. I just need to learn which parts/Components to spend time on and which ones go in the bin. Bourns, mills, dale, switchcraft, helitrim, are some notable brands. I am currently digging for heatsinks and power supplies for my upcoming ACA project-anything I can do to mitigate the exchange/duties and lower my cost.
Thank you, Almo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181124_101810.jpg (991.4 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg 20181104_132416.jpg (1.02 MB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg 20181104_125156.jpg (1.02 MB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg 20181104_125716.jpg (982.7 KB, 52 views)
Old 12th January 2019, 08:16 PM   #17
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredbloggstwo View Post
I've ofter throught it would be a good thread to have showing photos of recycled parts used to build amps, power supplies etc.

There is a guy on Ebay UK who sells empty equipment cases - including some military with the guts taken out. I got a few HP pulse generator cases from him and they were great for housing power supplies for my Class A Power Amp. They are built like a tank and also had some extra goodies like power switches etc.

Cheers

Mike
I have though about this, especially for certain areas of the world that donít have access to parts through the same channels as most of us.

I know whenever a device is put out to pasture in our house, it goes through the shop first, and whatever can be quickly removed is saved in a bin for experiments or use even.
Old 13th January 2019, 01:24 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Another hint for re-using stuff is to look on Ebay using the search for "Amp for spares or repair" or similar, as you can get very good chassis and components that way.

Also, look for items located near you that require personal pick up. They will usually have less bids and thus be significantly cheaper.

Cheers

Mike

Parts and components salvagingHide this!Advertise here!