MPSA 06/56 Equivalents

Slightly larger packages are a good idea and a convenient step between teensy T092 and heatsink models like TO212, TO126 or fullpack versions. Typical medium power transistors slow the VAS down and increase distortion with their large amounts of capacitance but you can rate most TO92L package devices such as 2SD667/B647 at twice the TO92 power rating and that's often enough for 70W/8R. .
Interesting you bring up the TO92L package. I scored 100 mpsw56 for $11 in the great On semi TO92 closeout, but those are pnp. 1 w TO92L package. mpsw06 available only from surplus house rochester $200 minimum buy per line item. I'm using npn NTE49 and GE D44R4 TO220 for VAS (opposing channels) in my best sounding 70w/ch amp, which are probably not ideal for reason stated above. 2SB647 2sc667 are not available today newark mouser alliedelec, digikey isn't talking. In general 2s/sb/sc/sd not available at any authorized distributor in the US unless made by ON ST or allegro-sanken.
So I bought 2N5682 1w TO39 at Newark which are ****ese made but usually newark QA is pretty tight. $1.38 each these had better be good. These are to compliment my mpsw56 in predrivers in future. TO92L package has so many names I don't view it as searchable. The MPSW56 datasheet doesn't even show the long package or have a special name for it.
I've got ON MJE340 TO126 for this VAS but not enthused about using a no-Ft spec no Cob spec part even if it is from ON and everybody uses them. single supply rail is 65 v.

Last edited:
In Africa I'm sure you have your choice of fakers. mpsa06/56 are probably remarked PN2222 and PN2904. Many countries, posters report their customs people will open packages, take real parts from known good dristributors, substitute fakes. One guy said he did a Iceo test on every lot of output transistors at 100 v or more. I've had trouble shipping quality goods to Mexico. Here in the US every UPS man is timed every minute of his route, postal faciiities had QA observation tunnels below the ceiling before CC cameras became cheap.
I had some bad experiences of parts from local TV repair store stocks in the days before the debit card. A pair of "new" tantalum caps hissed like a boiler. Now debit card has been invented I am allowed to buy from farnell(newark), mouser, digikey, alliedelec. They don't carry everything, like no 2sa/2sc transistors, but I can cope.
You can add RS to the quality distributors, in SAF, They don't operate in the US.

HI there indianajo, you are right on the button about fakes and frauds in Africa - I think we probably invented fraud because its become std government procedure in many African states ...

But it's good to hear (read) your endorsement of RS Components, I do normally buy from them anyway - their service is good and pricing is on par generally.
Problem is, they have only MPSA06 available, no MPSA56. However there is another reputable supplier here that does list the 56 type as available, curiously, they do not have any 06's ....

I use MPSA56 as the compliment to my $8 reel of MPS8099: Since MPS8599 were four times as expensive. Look around and see if anybody has those latter numbers from ON or fairchild. I think 8099 were $.08 each because nobody using spice was specifying them. Had gain over 300 IMHO. Peavey also used MPS6531/6533 TO92 from fairchild as their predrivers at one time. I think the distributors use an attractive price on npn to hook you in then make their money on the complement. With global feedback and a dc servo controlling offset, I don't think circuits are that picky on complements.
I still have some metal can 2n2222 and 2n2907, and I think you could pry a watt out of those. So I look down my nose at 2n2222/2907 in TO-92 plastic at .5 w. NTE doesn't blink at downrating the wattage of a part number. 2n6715/6726 were 1w TO92 with little metal heatsinks from zetex. Allen used them in organ switcher supplies. The NTE "replacement" is a half watt part with no heatsink. All you can buy anymore is the NTE.

Last edited: