• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Wanted Polypropylene crossover caps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I need these Polypropylene caps in (3.3uf, 50v x 8) (16uf, 50v x 2) (42uf, 50v x 2) (60uf, 50v x 2) They are for the crossovers on a fairly high-end pair of speakers. Any ideas, suggestions on where to get them preferably cheap are welcome.:D

Attachments

• IMG_0159.jpg
    IMG_0159.jpg
    963.6 KB · Views: 213
Joined 2009
Paid Member
For the money hard to beat Dayton Audio caps at Parts Express. Don't sweat exact values ... +/-10% is good enough.

I hope I can get away with 10% leeway because these speakers are high end and I read that the CEO was hesitant about having these speakers assembled in the USA. He said they need to be tuned properly and that can only be done properly at the factory in England? This is back in 1973 but capacitors have come a long way since then.

1 % in most parts of the XO and 0.5-0.25 % is clearly possible to hear the difference.

Need to have the right response curve.

So buy more parts than you need of the same type and get smaller values 0.5 , 1, 2 uf to do final voicing.

I was very satisfied with ERSE audio. Their parts are durable and high grade.

Their non-polar electrolytic are alright but experiment with bypassing.

Their FILM poly caps are exceptional. I tested them on many occasions and they are almost as good as caps 10 times the price. They are a go go go for all applications. No they are not as good as paper in aluminum, but who uses paper in alu anyways!!!

If they don't have values you can still order and they will get your values.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Soooo
quick, cheap, fast.
Pick any two.. :)

Anything wrong with SpeakerBug ?

Yeah, SpeakerBug dont have Polypropylene caps in the values I want! I need 16uf, 42uf, and 60uf, all at 50v. I read somewhere that there are places that do have polypropylene caps in different values than the norm for crossovers? Ive been searching but I havent found them yet? :D

Joined 2009
Paid Member
1 % in most parts of the XO and 0.5-0.25 % is clearly possible to hear the difference.

Need to have the right response curve.

So buy more parts than you need of the same type and get smaller values 0.5 , 1, 2 uf to do final voicing.

I was very satisfied with ERSE audio. Their parts are durable and high grade.

Their non-polar electrolytic are alright but experiment with bypassing.

Their FILM poly caps are exceptional. I tested them on many occasions and they are almost as good as caps 10 times the price. They are a go go go for all applications. No they are not as good as paper in aluminum, but who uses paper in alu anyways!!!

If they don't have values you can still order and they will get your values.
Ill check Erse Audio out and see how I go?

Yeah, SpeakerBug dont have Polypropylene caps in the values I want! I need 16uf, 42uf, and 60uf, all at 50v. I read somewhere that there are places that do have polypropylene caps in different values than the norm for crossovers? Ive been searching but I havent found them yet? :D

You may piggyback different value caps in parallel to arrive at the required value. eg. 16uf can be arrived at by 15uf and 1uf in parallel.

from the pic, it looks like they are Nonpolar electrolytic caps, you may try to get Jantzen audio NP caps, those will fit the boards.
polyprop might to too big to fit the boards and generally are available in 250V/400V ratings.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
You may piggyback different value caps in parallel to arrive at the required value. eg. 16uf can be arrived at by 15uf and 1uf in parallel.

from the pic, it looks like they are Nonpolar electrolytic caps, you may try to get Jantzen audio NP caps, those will fit the boards.
polyprop might to too big to fit the boards and generally are available in 250V/400V ratings.

Thanks for the suggestion mate, I will check them out!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.