Power JFETs in production

I'm pretty much a nube here, so I'm not exactly sure what makes for a good audio power JFET, but I got bored last night and found that Mouser is stocking and selling UnitedSiC power JFETs in TO-247 packages. They're making these things rated up to 85 amp and 650V. I'm too green to read the data sheet and really understand it, but I wanted to toss it out there for the crowd and see what I can learn.

SiC JFETs | United Silicon Carbide Inc.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
No such thing as a POWER JFET!
Jfets are small signal devices, MOSFETs are power devices.

That's not correct. SemiSouth made power Jfets and they are used in the First Watt J2. I used them in a First Watt F6.

SemiSouth in no longer in business, but there are other power jfets out there. Sometimes the descriptions are misleading, so it's best to ask someone who understands the specifications and manufacturing process for power jfets.

SemiSouth SiC Power JFETs

SiC JFETs target high-end audio | Elektor Magazine

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Nelson Pass said that power jfets used in simple circuits provide less distortion than a mosfet in the same circuit.

PassDiy

Attachments

• FET Part Distortion.PNG
    FET Part Distortion.PNG
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,259
He talked about JFET topologies at BA 2016. I'd seen UnitedSiC was working towards these a few months ago, but this is the first I've seen of them on sale. If I recall he said he expected to see some eventually because they're more efficient than MOSFETs in switching power supplies like those used in solar installations and electric cars.

Like I said, I don't know a whole lot, but the ratings on those things look pretty impressive.