Lithos regulator - A new super regulator?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• spex.gif
    spex.gif
    7.9 KB · Views: 777
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
HBarske said:
Is it useful to specify a THD figure for a voltage regulator?
And I hope "gHz" isn't meant to be Gigahertz...

Indeed, I am also mystified by the THD spec. I strongly support hi-quality supplies, but that THD spec? Also, the 1GHz (if that is it) spec is rather meaningless if you run a few cm of wiring or some PCB tracks to the DAC..

Jan Didden

peterr said:
As far as I know this Lithos thing was designed by Tom Evans. I never heard his stuff, but (for what it's worth) they are rated very highly by the likes of Hifi+ magazine.
His pcb's looks nice and "industrial" but some of the "facts" seems to be a little bit ormolja but I don't doubt that his products are good, not bestintheworld maybe, but good.

I wonder how the THD came into this?

How is common mode defined in a voltage regulator?

Some of the parameters don't seem to fit and/or the values. I can't get a clear picture.... and I don't see a picture even :no:

I notice also that no technical data is available but the price is visible.... not cheap.

orm = snake
olja = oil

I had a quick look at a +/-15V Lithos7 sitting in a Groove.

It's fairly standard series-reg with just one opamp and one pass transistor per supply. Both supply polarities are controlled by a single dual opamp, which may, or may not, be NE5532. Nothing funky, except that the opamps run at high noise gain (x7), and that the resistor values around the - reg are much lower in value than the + reg.

The single pos. voltage reference used is a 2-transistor or 1-ref / 1-transistor circuit I couldn't decode in a minute. Its voltage output goes into a gain-2 opamp/buffer.

The regulator is preregulated with 7818/7918s, and the reference and its buffer have another level of 7815/1915 preregulation.

The board is liberaly populated with bypass caps, 10uF Tants and 10nF ceramics.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.