Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

opamps on EBAY
opamps on EBAY
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th December 2018, 05:02 PM   #1
d3imlay is offline d3imlay  United States
diyAudio Member

Default opamps on EBAY

I'd like to pick up some OPA4134 DIPs. The only option is EBAY from china or SMT and adapters. Is ebay worth the risk?
Old 8th December 2018, 06:10 PM   #2
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

I certainly don't think so. But it's Your time and $
Old 9th December 2018, 02:13 AM   #3
Ian Finch is offline Ian Finch  Australia
diyAudio Member

Some Ebay or Aliexpress etc. sellers from China and other major distribution countries, do have genuine parts to sell but if your only offers come from Chinese sources, alarm bells should ring as you begin to realise what you're going to get. I'd start guessing at TL074 clones and go down in cost/spec. from there.

When I order some variation, option or particular manufacturer of semis that are stated in offers from random picked sellers, I seldom receive what I ask for anyway. I just get the same generic junk marked with the same font, no-name or non-original laser etched logo and markings. Also take a close look at how many obviously fake BB logo chips there are, even shown in the product pics. Why punish yourself with deceitful and uncertain Ebay offers, when the parts you can still buy from authorised local sources will be known quality - at least as good or better than the pretend ones?
Old 10th December 2018, 08:01 PM   #4
Lingwendil is offline Lingwendil  United States
Now with high-fructose ASSAULT-gluten!
diyAudio Member

opamps on EBAY
I would not suffer cheap fakes as a possibility after replacing so many over the years. I would strongly recommend that you buy genuine parts and use the adapter. It's fiddly but not terribly so to solder them up

The PDIP OPA4134 has been out of production for some time, so the likelyhood of sourcing genuine ones overseas is rather poor, at least outside of a authorized reseller. SOIC is your best bet if you care much for authenticity.

Alternatively, the OPA4227 is available from "the usual" places here in the US, and has very similar (some say better) audio performance to the OPA134 types, may be a useful alternative?

Last edited by Lingwendil; 10th December 2018 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10th December 2018, 08:38 PM   #5
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I made the mistake of ordering some 100Mhz LM6172IN from a Chinese eBay member (now not trading). Unfortunately too much time had passed for me to complain after I realised they were probably re-marked TLO82s. Slow as hell.
I learned: If the price + shipping is less than the local supplier, they are probably not good.

This is ironic because I contributed to a similar thread years ago when I thought that it would be uneconomic to re-mark devices. Well, we live and learn..
Old Yesterday, 05:59 AM   #6
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

> years ago when I thought that it would be uneconomic to re-mark devices.

I believe the several types of marking machines are widely available at low prices in China etc; also that in some factories if you slip the boss some Yen you can stay late and "play" with the marking machine.

Also that there must be a back-alley where reject or over-stock parts trade really-really cheap.

So an image of an honest high-buck part, a tube of $2/100 low-price parts, could be a nice little home industry. Indistinguishable from an honest small parts-broker.

opamps on EBAYHide this!Advertise here!