Capacitor for power supply of tube preamp, what is your choice??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!
If a preamp has Philips 057 series cap in the power supply, could you think of any alternative for replacement?

Philips 057 required a 800 pieces as minimum quantity for ordering, is that another options?

My friend has built a preamp with RIFA PEH 169 and claimed that this is better than Philips / BC component 057.

He prefers F&T SIH and anything from Epcos over the 057.

Any thoughts? What is your choice??

Thanks!

Just go for a good-quality snap-in or radial capacitors from a good manufacturer. I've had the best luck with Rubycon and United Chemi-Con brand caps from a reputable supplier like Mouser or Digi-Key. Sprague Atom capacitors are great as well, though a bit more pricey.

OP, the Kemet, Phillips, F&T and Epcos capacitors are all of excellent quality and I would not hesitate to use them, though the are quite expensive compared to the options I typically use. You won't be disappointed in any of them.

I don't like to buy capacitors and transistors on eBay because the market is flooded with counterfeit parts, and it's hard to know what you're getting.

I don't like to buy capacitors and transistors on eBay because the market is flooded with counterfeit parts, and it's hard to know what you're getting.
+1

This is why I buy Chenxing, JCCON, Tenta, and Carli from China instead of Nichicon, UCC and Rubycon... If you want those, go to Digi-key. Still, a Chenxing cap is perfectly fine for most applications IMHO. Heck, one of my favourite amp builds is using fake Nichicon caps and they work well enough in the application.

+1

This is why I buy Chenxing, JCCON, Tenta, and Carli from China instead of Nichicon, UCC and Rubycon... If you want those, go to Digi-key. Still, a Chenxing cap is perfectly fine for most applications IMHO. Heck, one of my favourite amp builds is using fake Nichicon caps and they work well enough in the application.

Alright, we differ in opinion and that is fine. From my point of view, my time is precious. As such, I try to avoid capacitors of questionable quality, because I want them to last as long as possible. I'm putting a lot of time in to some of these builds (and restorations) and I want them to last a long time. The cheap caps may or may not last a long time. But I've seen far too many cheap capacitors in consumer electronics that have failed after just a few years. While those are indeed in an application that is hard on capacitors (SMPS), I want my designs to last as long as the stuff built in the 1960s.

If I haven't made it clear, I don't believe that expensive electrolytic capacitors in the power supply make a lick of difference in sound, however I do firmly believe that quality capacitors from the likes of Rubycon, United Chemi-Con and Nichicon will last longer and be more reliable than capacitors from the bargain bin.

Alright, we differ in opinion and that is fine. From my point of view, my time is precious. As such, I try to avoid capacitors of questionable quality, because I want them to last as long as possible. I'm putting a lot of time in to some of these builds (and restorations) and I want them to last a long time. The cheap caps may or may not last a long time. But I've seen far too many cheap capacitors in consumer electronics that have failed after just a few years. While those are indeed in an application that is hard on capacitors (SMPS), I want my designs to last as long as the stuff built in the 1960s.

If I haven't made it clear, I don't believe that expensive electrolytic capacitors in the power supply make a lick of difference in sound, however I do firmly believe that quality capacitors from the likes of Rubycon, United Chemi-Con and Nichicon will last longer and be more reliable than capacitors from the bargain bin.

I agree, but not past the point of diminishing returns. That's why I said I only buy Chinese caps on eBay, and the others from Digi-key.
I will use a 20 cent Carli X2 safety capacitor instead of a 6$ orange drop because I've never seen one fail, they have higher ratings, and they are flameproof :) And for the record, the only caps I've actually had fail and explode were Nichicon KMH. I use Kemet PEH534 in that position now.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.